Director - UX
Product – Product
At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
At PagerDuty we strive to improve the lives of developers, operations engineers and others on call, by providing a reliable and usable operations performance platform. We understand that a visible UX leader is an essential aspect of a business, focused on continually delivering value to our customers. You are a seasoned UX leader that is adept at building an empathy-driven culture of design thinking.
Fast-growing companies have benefited from your abilities to scale a team and set the bar for intuitive experiences which delight a broad customer base. Your past experience with Product teams demonstrate how a strong collaboration between UX, Engineering, and Product is essential to building products that customers love.
As PagerDuty's Director of User Experience, you will:
- Lead an existing design team in Toronto to deliver UX from conceptualization to launch and follow-up for multiple projects
- Develop design guidelines and standards to ensure consistency among product features and a cohesive approach across the application
- Maintain customer archetypes and user personas to ensure PagerDuty teams understand the needs of our customers and their users
- Coach Product and Engineering through customer discovery, data-driven user research and iterative experimentation
- Define and own a varied menu of UX design processes for project initiatives, including ideation, user-flow analysis, wire-framing, interaction design, and execution
- Work with product management on project objectives and allocate resources to achieve the objectives as measured against managed expectations
- Oversee design deliverables to ensure quality of both design and presentation
- Provide clear creative direction and feedback, ensuring effective inter- and intra-team communication
- Work closely with leadership in visual design, production, copywriting, server and UI engineering to ensure design specifications are an excellent fit with development constraints
- Advocate for UX in the broader organization
- Attract and retain new design talent to meet the growing demand you created in the bullet point above
- Create staff career development plans and goals. Conduct performance and compensation reviews
What We’re Looking For:
- Bringing people together to achieve a vision with common goals and shared values
- Making tradeoffs in an environment of often-conflicting objectives, e.g. deliver great experience on a deadline with fixed resources
- Mature leadership with proven experience in seeing the bigger picture and your role in it
- Understanding business drivers, defining UX metrics against those drivers, measuring and reporting on results
- Experience with data visualization principles and practices (Talk Tufte)
- Lead project management, goal/KPI setting, budget control, adjustment, quality assure, risk management for project
- Building relationships with peers and executive management across the organization
- Balancing creativity with consistency
- Understanding how to reduce work to processes, and then move on to solving new challenges rather than resolving existing problems
- Developing individual contributors and the next generation of leaders
- Ruthless prioritization and an ability to focus on key issues
- 10+ years of design experience, with at least 5 years in a UX environment and at least 3 years of hands-on team leadership
- Bonus points for experience with consumer and enterprise applications
- Strong portfolio of interaction design work created both individually and indirectly through teams of direct reports
- Minimum of BA/BFA in design, human factors engineering, or just about anything else you can justify, BA/MFA/MBA preferred
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
RSP with 1% employer match
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid stat holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible by public transportation
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.