Palo Alto, CA
A World-Changing Company
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
Quality Engineers are responsible for ensuring that we develop and deploy first-class products to customers around the world. Quality Engineers are focused on delivering product outcomes. It’s our responsibility to ask, “does the product solve the most valuable problem?” and “how do we ship the product more quickly and easily?” To answer these questions, we work directly with our customers as well as our Forward Deployed Software Engineers. We observe and experience the pain of deploying and using software firsthand, and partner with Product Designers, Software Developers, Product Managers, and many other teams to fix found issues.
Our focus is the quality of our products. We’re constantly on the search for pain and friction points in both the actual product and our software development process. As Quality Engineers, we approach quality holistically, doing everything from performance benchmarking, automation, and debugging to release management, user research, paper prototyping, and feature testing.
Our job is not to build the airplane — it’s to make sure all of the pieces fit together, that the ride is smooth, safe, and enjoyable for everyone on board, and that the plane stays in the air (which we think is pretty important). When the pieces don’t align or the plane isn’t safe, we aim to understand, prioritize, and fix the problems. We are product expediters who make sure our customers are getting the most valuable product for their unique needs on time and to spec.
We’re big believers that coding 100% of the time is not the only fulfilling career path in software development (and several of us had to take a leap of faith to realize that). We are people who like to work with everything — particularly large systems — and are comfortable working in chaotic environments to deliver epic outcomes. One of our favorite sayings is “Let chaos reign, then rein in chaos.”
Some of the things QEs have done in the past year include:
- Rebuilding a production system to ship an order of magnitude performance and scale improvement
- Architecturally advising on proposed products in new customer verticals
- Running weekly releases for live customer systems
- Mapping out the growth trajectory of a large product ecosystem and working with a set of teams to invest in the right quality strategies that build for the future
- Advising and consulting on a new data visualization layer for a set of our customers
- Responding to, debugging, and fixing exigent issues for customers located around the world
- Traveling around the globe to deploy new products
In this role, you will:
- Drive software architecture discussions and decisions
- Write automation code and develop automation frameworks
- Participate in every stage of the product life cycle
- Design and execute test cases using functional requirements
- Find, understand, and debug product issues
- Work with Software Developers, Product Designers, Forward Deployed Software Engineers, Product Managers, and others to ship high quality releases
- Deploy to the field to get at the root of the problem (as needed and desired)
What We Value
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, chaotic environment with ad hoc objectives
- Comfortable exploring the unknown
- Excellent teamwork, independent decision making, and communication skills
- Analytical thinking, creative problem-solving, and troubleshooting skills with great attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively to define product and customer needs
- Aptitude for learning technical concepts, skills, and systems quickly
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Experience working with complex systems (software, biological, mechanical, etc.) and the desire and ability to understand them in detail
- Experience working in a software development environment
- Strong scripting abilities
- Firm grasp of testing methodologies, preferably backend and scale testing
Palantir is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call us at (650) 473-9158.