London, United Kingdom /
A World-Changing Company
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
The Palantir Design Team is responsible for the human experience of using our software. Our team is growing rapidly, but we're committed to creating a tight-knit team environment that fosters trust, integrity, empathy, and growth. We work together in realizing a shared product vision, and regularly give feedback and critique to each other.
Designing at Palantir is a varied experience. On a given day, you might be: leading a design sprint for your product team; designing a micro-interaction to make a complex analytical task feel simple; and/or advocating for UX consistency by creating flexible, reusable UI components.
• Interaction and visual design. As a product designer, you'll be involved at every stage of design work. You'll help define early product concepts, flesh out the high-level workflow and micro-interactions of a feature, and execute on a crisp and effective visual design. You should have experience with some of the following mockup and prototyping tools: Sketch, Framer, Principle, Figma, Invision.
• User research. We frequently do informal user research, and value people who can be flexible with research processes and methodologies to achieve the right outcome. You'll often visit customer offices to interview and learn from the users we serve. You'll pair qualitative methods (e.g. scripted usability tests and contextual inquiry) with quantitative information, like product and usage metrics.
• Prototyping. You will prototype—using software like Principle and Framer, or another favorite method—both to communicate your designs and validate your decisions.
• Partnering with engineers. We work closely with product and forward deployed engineers to realize our design ideas. You'll treat engineers as partners and collaborate with them to prototype and build out products.
Designers at Palantir have great autonomy over their work, so a wide skill set is necessary. However, many designers on the team are also passionate experts in one area. You might be the kind of designer who ships code every week, or the kind of designer who shares detailed user research findings with your team.
What We Value
- An iterative design process. You validate your ideas early (with stakeholders and users) and are thoughtful and intentional in seeking and responding to feedback. You move fast, listen, and adapt. You rapidly incorporate feedback, and prioritize collaboration. You are adept at giving and receiving critiques.
- Collaboration and communication. You can build great relationships with engineers, PMs, and other stakeholders—and convey your design rationale to them. To reach these audiences, you'll communicate your designs through a variety of methods: presenting your mockups, making prototypes, sharing a design spec.
- Thoughtful, intentional work. You know that form informs function and usability—that the surface layer doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Your design decisions are often informed by—and will influence—engineering and business considerations.
- Dedication to the user. You'll design software that changes how people use data in government, commercial, and philanthropic contexts. You strive to understand our users—who can range from a manufacturing plant worker to a pharmaceutical researcher—and fight to empower them.
- A portfolio demonstrating at least one software interface design project. If parts of your portfolio are password-protected, please include your portfolio password under 'Additional Information' when applying.
Our team has people from a variety of backgrounds—people who studied type design, computer science, psychology; people who joined Palantir right after university; and people who joined our team after switching industries. We value skills and mindset over a specific educational background.
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems.
Palantir is committed to making the job application process accessible to everyone. If you are living with a disability (visible or not visible) and need to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please reach out and let us know how we can help.