Seattle, WA /
A World-Changing Company
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team responsible for mission critical infrastructure efforts that allow our engineers, business and product to scale across a large number of environments. You care deeply about your team, invest in their personal growth and support them in maximizing their impact to the business. You love developing, coaching and growing people across different subject areas and crafts.
You have a deep systems background and value technical excellence, and use that to guide the team towards well-engineered and durable solutions. While you aren’t expected to spend a large percentage of time coding, you are expected to be able to evaluate and raise the technical bar, and help others attain it. You will play a part in engineering, design reviews, code reviews, and will contribute to the code base directly when needed. You lead by example rather than authority.
You can effectively develop a high-trust, inclusive environment within the team. Any room that you enter should have more certainty and a firmer plan by the time that you leave it. You may walk into a situation where people have lost track of their goals and after your involvement, you get everyone aligned on a clear path forward. You remove unimportant details, distill complex situations to their essence, and get the right decision-maker to make a call – even if it’s not you.
The core infra team is responsible for building the Kubernetes based infrastructure and API platform on top of which we deploy Palantir’s software offerings (Foundry, Gotham). The environment management team is responsible for building out our service management infrastructure. You can read more about the problem statement here.
- Rubix, a fully managed Kubernetes offering in the cloud. You can read more about Rubix on our blog and watch our KubeCon talk.
- Expanding our fully managed Kubernetes offering to different cloud providers without dramatically increasing our operational burden or system complexity.
- Building a re-usable control plane / infrastructure APIs that can be effectively leveraged on our fully managed offerings, but also in environments where we don’t manage the underlying infrastructure.
- Building the core service model that allows product developers to build once, deploy everywhere. This includes implementations both across process based / containerized environments, and cloud / on-prem environments.
- Building the set of in-environment services that are required to support continuous delivery for all Palantir environments
- Provide the abstractions for services to do configuration and service discovery, certificate management, and secret management.
- Lead a 8-15 person team of engineers and accelerate their growth by providing thoughtful feedback, technical mentorship and effectively manage performance.
- Identify and grow leaders within the teams, setting them up for success through mentorship and coaching.
- Partner with senior engineers to build and champion a long-term tech roadmap to reduce operational burden, ensure scalability, reduce risk, and push the team towards step-changes in operational sustainability.
- Collaborate across teams to build and align strategies that improve Palantir’s ability to scale, translate them into plans and timelines and facilitate partnerships between engineering teams and operators to execute on them.
What We Value
- 5+ years in software engineering or similar role, 2 years of leadership experience.
- Demonstrated experience of successful mentorship and accelerating reports growth, being an effective multiplier for the team.
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-team engineering efforts from analysis of requirements and scoping, shipping, to operating in production.
- Ability to partner effectively with other teams in the organization across engineering, business development, information security, etc.
- Ability to run a high-paced product development team across multiple locations and timezones, and react effectively to changes in global prioritization
Palantir is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that all Palantirians share the responsibility of upholding our commitment to these values and encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences to join us in solving the world’s hardest problems. Palantir does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor’s EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
Palantir is committed to making the job application process accessible to everyone. If you are living with a disability (visible or not visible) and need to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please reach out and let us know how we can help.