Beltsville, MD /
Panum is seeking a Library Technician for a proposed contract with our USDA National Agricultural Library. The selected individual will provide services as identified in individual task orders to meet the needs of NAL projects and services during the life of the contract. These requirements will fall into the below categories:
1) Data Management
2) Digitization Support Services
3) Metadata Creation and Maintenance
4) Reference Services
5) Special Collections
6) Subject Matter Expertise and Support
The tasks and deliverables described below involve professional librarian education and experience (MLS or MLIS required), and highly specialized library applications, services, and information products.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Organize and conduct a meeting of selected, current Economic Research Service employees to evaluate reference books from the collection for retention by NAL. Work with NAL staff to establish a permanent location for the books selected for retention.
- Create an inventory of the collection and note materials in need of conservation treatment.
- Rehouse materials in appropriate containers.
- 1. Folder loose materials in acid-free folders
- 2. Re-folder materials in existing, old folders into acid-free free folders
- 3. Remove rusty staples and paperclips
- 4. Photocopy newspaper clippings and onion skin paper
- 5. Separate and flatten posters and oversize materials for storage in map case
- 6. Sleeve photographs
- 7. Move materials into acid-free document boxes
- Propose an arrangement of materials based on similar formats or subject areas; move materials into final series arrangement after approval by project manager.
- Research and write an online index to the collection that includes:
- 1. Biographical information about Beale
- 2. Historical information on USDA programs represented in collection materials
- 3. Series descriptions about types of materials in the collection
- 4. Scope and content note
- 5. Abstract
- 6. List of related materials
- Create a short, online exhibit about the collection and include images of materials in the collection. This work includes selection of images, creation of metadata for images, and digitizing of materials.
- Government Responsibilities
- A. Provide workspace, tools and supplies needed to do the required work
- B. Provide training on the proper handling of NAL collection materials.
- C. Provide technical guidance on Special Collections policies and procedures, workflow and tools.
- D. The Government Technical Point of Contact (GTPOC) will monitor the progress of the project and provide technical guidance as needed.
- Bachelors Degree in Library and Information Science or Related Field
- Masters Degree preferred
Panum Telecom LLC (dba Panum Group) Established in 1997, Panum Group provides unique expertise and innovative solutions that address federal customers’ greatest business and mission challenges. A culture of excellence through innovation and problem-solving has resulted in 100 percent growth in employees and revenue over the last three years. Panum provides program & project management, acquisition & contract management, business & strategy consulting and next generation information and communications technology services for more than 20 federal agencies. For more information, please visit www.panum.com.