Senior Mechanical Engineer
Los Angeles, CA /
Parallel Systems is an early-stage startup company developing the future of intermodal transportation. Our mission is to decarbonize freight while improving supply chain logistics and safety. We are developing vehicles and software to create new autonomous and electric transportation systems for existing rail infrastructure.
At Parallel Systems, we value the team as much as the mission. We want to work with talented people who are humble, motivated, and persistent. Our most successful team members are self-starters and collaborate with others to reach our collective goals.
We're looking for talented senior mechanical engineers to architect the vehicle, design components, and test the system. In this role, you'll work with fellow engineers and technicians to bring up new designs in our lab and run vehicles on our dedicated test track just outside the city. This is an opportunity to engage early with new designs, making a huge impact on the direction of the technology. Ideal candidates would be building on strong first principles and engineering skills and have a desire to expand their responsibilities to own hardware designs.
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary engineering teams. Drive requirements, meet and present technical direction, build consensus
- Execute on all phases of hardware development including requirements capture, prototyping, design validation, and manufacturing readiness
- Perform hand calculations and FEA to develop and assess designs
- Create and execute design of experiments for decisions on architecture, component selection, and manufacturing processes as necessary.
- Support manufacturing, vehicle integration, and validation
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar Engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in hardware development, machine design, or validation.
- Experience with at least one commercial CAD tool (Solidworks, Fusion 360°, etc)
- Experience with at least one commercial FEA or multiphysics simulation package (i.e. Solidworks, NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ANSYS)
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar Engineering discipline
- Mechanical Engineering skills including: drawing creation and GD&T, structural analysis, selection of materials and processes, understanding of failure mechanisms, and analytical/scientific programming (i.e. Python, Matlab, Simulink, Excel).
- Steel Structures: Experience in with design and qualification for various forms of steel structures including fabricated weldments, forgings, and castings. Experience with static and dynamic analysis, including fatigue life. Understanding of material selection and experience with process specification.
- Traction Systems: Experience with component design, component specification, mechanical integration, or modeling of electric traction systems. Components include HV batteries, traction inverters, traction motors, gear assemblies, and axles.
- Vehicle Dynamics: Experience designing vehicle suspensions. Experience with vehicle modeling and dynamics analysis.
- Multi-physics product development: Experience developing mechanical assemblies such as cameras, batteries, traction motors, force transducers, etc.
- Electronics: Experience with electronics and sensor packaging including requirements for high voltage isolation, heat dissipation, vibration isolation, water sealing, and manufacturability. Experience enclosure designs in sheet metal, stamping, die casting, and/or injection molding.
- Durability: Experience with durability testing and failure analysis in support of lifetime qualifications.
- Experience designing fluid systems including hydraulics and thermal control systems. Schematic design, component requirements derivation, component characterization, and system validation.
- Willingness to travel to test facilities across the United States. Expected duration of 1 week per trip. Frequency to be determined upon applicants interest to travel.
Parallel Systems is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any discriminatory factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people can come to do their best work.