Director, Functional Safety
Los Angeles, CA /
Parallel Systems is an early-stage startup company developing the future of intermodal transportation. Our mission is to decarbonize freight while improving supply chain logistics and safety. We are developing vehicles and software to create new autonomous and electric transportation systems for existing rail infrastructure.
At Parallel Systems, we value the team as much as the mission. We want to work with talented people who are humble, motivated, and persistent. Our most successful team members are self-starters and collaborate with others to reach our collective goals.
We’re looking for an experienced leader in functional safety with a strong understanding of engineering principles, system safety thinking, and preferably railroad regulatory environments. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to lead on strategy and implementation. You’ll lead efforts for fully functional safety compliance with all aspects of a new technology at the early stages of product development. This role involves working closely with design engineers, test staff, and regulators while prioritizing tasks in a dynamic environment.
- Establish procedures to comply with appropriate industry standards for functional safety
- Define and derive safety-related requirements for train control, vehicles, and operations
- Establish system of requirements tracking and auditing
- Lead and perform Hazard and Risk Analysis. Author Safety Assessments and Safety Plans in accordance with applicable regulations
- Provide competence management including training, education, and qualifications
- Provide leadership in developing a culture of safety, by promoting system-level safety thinking in design, product planning, and operating practices. Own definition of safety in the product architecture and development of workflows to organize safety data
- Communicate and present safety narrative to regulators
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related field
- 8+ years of experience in functional safety field
- Experience with IEC 61508, IEC 62278, IEC 62289, EN 5102x, ISO 26262 or related IEC 61508 derived functional safety standard
- Experience applying functional safety processes to off-the-shelf and custom-designed electronic systems, software systems, and concepts of operation
- Experience authoring functional safety documents including hazard and risk analysis, fault tree analysis, safety plans, requirements and specifications
- Experience with new product introduction
- 10+ years of experience in functional safety field
- Experience building, coordinating, and leading teams
- Experience with computer-based train control systems
- Experience with U.S. railway regulations including 49 CFR 236 Subpart H, 236 Subpart I, and 229
- Experience with international standards and regulations
Parallel Systems is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any discriminatory factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people can come to do their best work.