Pardon Ventures – Optimism /
Optimism is a digital media company working to build a brighter web. We launch and operate a diverse portfolio of brands that spark curiosity, spread valuable information, and improve the lives of our readers. Leveraging an email-first strategy, we reach more than 3 million subscribers across our network of publications — and we’re growing every day.
About the Role
As an Associate Editor, you will assist in the editing and management of our editorial content, which includes (but is not limited to) articles, quizzes, and trivia questions. You will work closely with other editorial team members to ensure the content we publish is clear, accurate, and engaging, paying close attention to performance to determine whether a new article or quiz will resonate with our audience. Your day-to-day will include editing pieces submitted by freelance and staff writers, building those pieces within our content management system (CMS), and working with our Campaign team to schedule the sending of our content via email.
- Editing: You will help uphold the high standards we have in place, ensuring the pieces you work on are clear, accurate, and engaging.
- Content Management: You will help the editorial team prep content for publication. This includes building content in each brand’s respective CMS and ensuring those pieces are formatted correctly.
- Email-First Strategy: You will work with other editors and members of our Campaign team to organize the content we want to send to our subscribers via Airtable, a project management tool we use in the construction of sending schedules.
- Data-Driven Decision-Making: You will use dashboards that highlight key performance metrics to help the wider editorial team make strategic decisions regarding new content. As an email-first publisher, metrics such as open rate and click-through rate (CTR) are extremely important, as are web-based metrics such as session duration.
- Pitch New Ideas: You will contribute to standing brainstorming meetings, pitching new ideas for the different brands in Optimism’s portfolio.
- 2+ years of editorial work for a digital media company
- Exceptional copy-editing and line-editing skills
- An ability to analyze and interpret data
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to stay organized and manage content effectively and efficiently
- A keen awareness of email as a content delivery mechanism and knowledge of the strategies that help a newsletter perform well
- Familiarity with a CMS (preferably WordPress)
- The ability to work on multiple projects and determine priorities based on time, complexity, and resources
- Extreme attention to detail
$50,000 - $55,000 a year
This role is expected to begin in January of 2024.
We aim to provide equal opportunity for all. We are firm believers in the strength of diversity and aim to build teams of individuals that offer unique perspectives, come from different backgrounds, and challenge each other to be better every day!