Associate Editor, Games
Pardon Ventures – Optimism /
Optimism is a digital publisher working to build a brighter web. We conceive, launch, and operate high-quality digital brands that spark curiosity, spread positivity, and improve the lives of our readers. With an email-first approach, our hope is to transform the inbox into a healthy alternative to social media feeds, a place where you can curate the news, information, and entertainment you truly want.
Our brands populate a variety of categories: Games, Wonder, and Travel, among others. This distributed approach helps us reach 3 million subscribers across our network and serve more than 30 million web sessions each month. And we’re growing with each new brand.
About Associate Editor, Games
As an Associate Editor, you will join a dynamic editorial team with fresh ideas and diverse perspectives. You will oversee the production of content for our Games brands, with a focus on Trivia Daily, Travel Quiz, and Trivia Genius. This role includes establishing and managing a reliable network of freelance writers, assigning pieces and accepting pitches, fact checking, and editing trivia questions and quizzes for publication. It also includes curating stories for our daily email sends. You will set a strategic direction for the brand while working to achieve greater efficiency, quality, and content performance.
- Brand ownership. Overseeing all content that is produced and distributed on your brands and the user experience that subscribers are having on web and in email.
- Content production. Building and maintaining monthly editorial calendars, working with freelancers, and managing processes to produce and distribute content.
- Editorial quality. Ensuring your brands deliver high-quality, aligned content across all platforms, including web and email. Executing style guidelines, brand voice, and quality standards that are consistent and distinctive.
- Business performance. Understanding the role content plays in keeping the brand engaging and profitable. Leveraging data and insights to make informed decisions that lead to stronger key metrics, including click-through rate and time on site.
- 3+ years experience as a writer or editor within a digital publishing company.
- Proven aptitude as a detailed-driven editor with high standards for prose and accuracy.
- Superior writing, copy-editing, and line-editing skills.
- Basic fact-checking skills, including an understanding of what qualifies as a good, reliable source.
- Keen understanding of what makes a good trivia question and what types of questions are the most enticing for audiences to answer.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage a diverse team of contributors.
- Ability to remain organized and efficient when there are many moving parts and priorities.
- Ability to use and interpret data to inform editorial decisions, which results in producing high-engaging content.
- Ability to think through the lens of a casual gamer and produce content that targets a wide audience.
- Understanding of AP style.
- Passion for trivia, quizzes, and word games.
- Proactive and collaborative low-ego work style; you love working with people and people love working with you.
The pay for this role has a salary range of $60,000 to $75,000. The actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, experience and location.
We aim to provide equal opportunity for all. We are firm believers in the strength of diversity and aim to build teams of individuals that offer unique perspectives, come from different backgrounds, and challenge each other to be better every day!