SVP, Production, Narrative Films
Los Angeles /
Narrative Film /
Position summary: The SVP, Production role is responsible for overseeing and managing the slate of films through all phases of physical production, post-production, and delivery. In addition, the role will prioritize the overall production goals of the department related to our content.
Founded in 2004 by Jeff Skoll, Participant’s content combines the power of a good story well told with real world impact and awareness around today’s most vital issues. Through its worldwide network of traditional and digital distribution, aligned with partnerships with key non-profit and NGO organizations, Participant speaks directly to the rise of today’s “conscious consumer,” representing the well over 2 billion consumers compelled to make meaningful content a priority focus. Participant’s more than 100 films have collectively earned 85 Academy Award® nominations and 21 wins, including Best Picture for Spotlight and Green Book; Best Documentary Feature for American Factory, CITIZENFOUR, The Cove and An Inconvenient Truth; and Best Foreign Language Film for Roma and A Fantastic Woman.
Salary Range: $223,000-$300,000
- Contribute to development of production plans for internal projects, budgeting, modeling, scheduling. This includes:
- Provide initial feedback to creative team in terms of budget levels and production requirements prior to formal budgeting phase
- Oversee the creation of budgets and run scenarios to ensure each project is capturing the greatest production incentives
- Create and manage cashflows prior to project greenlight. Including, monitoring cashflow and funding requests from prep to post as well as oversee all cost reports
- Connect with Business Affairs and communicate budget parameters for deal-making purposes
- Oversee outside tax incentive accounting staff during the budgeting, production, and post production phases in collaboration with finance team
- Monitor and explore new developments and opportunities in production and financing, domestic and international rebates, tax incentives and other soft money options, film commission and other governmental support, environmental sustainability and DBIE (Diversity, Belonging, Inclusion & Equity) initiatives, etc.
- Collaborate with filmmakers to ensure all production plans are in line with their creative vision
- Provide daily supervision on all projects via close communication with producers, line producers, and production team
- In conjunction with Business Affairs, secure necessary insurance coverage with outside carrier based on individual production needs
- Manage and review all clearance reports ensuring proper releases have been obtained
- Work with Business Affairs to handle all labor relation grievances
- Ensure necessary immigration paperwork is obtained for cast/crew in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot any and all production HR issues in connection with our legal department
- Work directly with marketing and publicity teams to ensure production is prepared for all EPK and marketing deliverables
- Approve all production Covid-19 plans for individual projects and ensure they are budgeted for and in line with current union guidelines
- Arrange required training for crew inclusive of diversity and sexual harassment courses
- Attend all tech scouts, production meetings and camera tests prior to start of principal photography
- Negotiate all key crew deals
- Report all production related updates to senior management
- In conjunction with Finance and Business Affairs, develop and manage regular production tracking and reporting systems for Narrative Films
- Maintain on-going relationships with production and distribution community
- Duties include but are not limited to the core responsibilities listed above
- 7+ years related work experience including managerial experience
- Strong existing relationships with creative community, studios, financers, producers, talent, management companies and agencies
- Deep understanding of production processes
- Significant knowledge of the film landscape
- TV experience is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- Self-starter who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Team player and innovative thinker
Reports to: Executive Vice-Presidents, Narrative Films
Participant is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to recruiting, training, compensating, and promoting all of our employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, or any other protected classes set forth under applicable law. As a media company, we are dedicated to reflecting the diversity, and multiculturalism, of our viewers, creators, partners and communities. Inclusion is at the heart of what we do and at the core of our values.