Corporate – Operations
Particle is hiring an accountant to manage our books, oversee our finances, and help the executive team and Board of Directors make important financial decisions.
Particle is a young start-up; we have ~40 employees and our revenue is in the millions. Our finances, though, are surprisingly complex. We make and sell hardware, so we have inventory. We also sell software and charge monthly or annual fees. We have big customers and small customers. Our employees are all over the world, as are our employees. We have equity investors as well as loans and lines of credit. We are setting up a subsidiary company in China. All in all, it's complicated.
We're looking for someone who can help us manage the complexity of our finances and present a clear picture to our management team to help us make important decisions, while also ensuring that we are compliant with tax regulations in the countries and states in which we do business.
We don't expect you to know everything; we will expect you to engage with outside consultants on some of the hairier issues. But we expect you to be self-driven and identify what you can do directly and where to solicit help. You'll be the only accountant on the team (to start), and while the management team has general business knowledge (MBAs and the like), we are not accounting experts.
This job is a spectacular step-up opportunity for a certified accountant who is looking for start-up experience and wants to take on the full breadth of financial management, from bookkeeping to financial controller.
- Manage Particle's books, and produce monthly reports on both an accrual and cash basis
- Issue POs and invoices, pay our vendors and make sure that we are paid by our customers
- Work with external consultants to file federal and state taxes
- Generate reports and insights for the Board of Directors and the management team
- Identify and pursue opportunities to decrease our cost of capital (venture debt, lines of credit, payment terms, etc.)
- Work closely with our operations and supply chain teams to forecast demand and manage inventory
- Work with the CEO to track our cash position and burn rate and plan equity financing
- BS or BA in Finance or Accounting (or similar)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- 2+ years of work experience in accounting
- Big 4 experience a plus
- Start-up experience a plus
- Curiosity and a passion for learning
Particle is the most widely-used Internet of Things (IoT) platform. We've built the largest community of developers and engineers in the industry, and we've shipped more than hundreds of thousands of development kits to 170 countries. Hundreds of IoT products, from smart home appliances to industrial equipment, are being built on Particle's platform. We are committed to making it easy for anyone to get their products online, and we support product creators of any size — from Fortune 500s to blossoming entrepreneurs.
We are inspired by our mission of enabling the next technological revolution, and by the incredible products that people build on our platform. We also support our Particle family and community by embracing our core values of caring, curiosity, openness, joy, and trust.
Everyone is welcome at Particle. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.