Small Commercial Underwriter
Pathpoint is building the next generation of technology for the $160B Excess and Surplus Lines insurance market. We’re working with the premier carriers and brokerages to build a new trading exchange that turns painful and time consuming back and forth into a seamless digital experience. Pathpoint is backed by top investors and is headquartered in San Francisco.
Pathpoint is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion, and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pathpoint considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
About the Role:
Pathpoint is looking for a small commercial underwriter to help us grow our book of small commercial excess & surplus policies placed for independent retail agents.
This is a desk underwriter position with no marketing activities and no regular sales travel at this time. Our team needs an underwriting generalist who can efficiently underwrite small business submissions for general liability, property, cyber, and related lines. And because we’re a small team, we do our own rating, quoting, binding, issuing, and servicing, including policies, endorsements, inspections, surplus lines filings, and more.
You will report directly to the Insurance Operations Lead as part of the larger Operations team. This role could range from Underwriter to Senior Underwriter, depending on experience. Over time, the team will have opportunities for career progression as well as a constant need for high-performing individual contributors.
The location for this role will permanently be on a remote basis with the potential option to join a Pathpoint office in the future.
What You'll Do
- Triage submissions received from multiple retail agencies and brokerages.
- Evaluate coverage needs based on agent and broker requests and nature of risk.
- Underwrite and rate coverage based on underwriting authority and guidelines.
- Service in-force business including managing service requests for policy and endorsement issues as well as assisting on compliance and regulatory paperwork.
- Support Pathpoint’s Product, Engineering, Underwriting, and Marketing teams by helping further automate / improve the submission, quoting, and binding experience for retail agents.
- Special projects as needed including writing/editing underwriting guidelines, drafting supplemental applications, and other insurance-based activities.
What We Look For
- Minimum 1-3 years of small commercial underwriting experience, primarily focused on general liability & property with background working with (or interest in learning) additional products such as cyber liability, miscellaneous professional liability, and related lines.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of transactions where you need to balance the amount of information needed to make decisions along with the speed at which things must happen.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to understand, synthesize, and interpret data to make informed underwriting decisions, apply underwriting rules of authority, and summarize recommendations and referrals in support of quoting insurance coverage.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to work effectively in a remote environment.
- Proficiency in documentation, organization, and prioritization.
- Comfortable following processes and procedures and capable of making suggestions to improve daily operations.
- Extremely high level of applications/systems literacy is required, including the ability to complete transactions end-to-end across G Suite (e.g. Gmail, Google Docs, etc.), SalesForce, carrier underwriting portals (rating, quoting, issuance, service), and various other communication, collaboration, and workflow applications (including but not limited to Slack, Asana, and SignNow).
- Extraordinary attention to detail and unwavering ethics, as the small things matter in our highly-regulated and nuanced industry.
- Humility. No task is too small for anyone on our team and you will absolutely be tasked with work outside the underwriter role when the team needs extra hands. Some projects will be complex and exciting while other projects may be mundane and tedious, but all will be critical to the success of our team.
- Work ethic. We have tons of fun here and part of fun for us is working hard toward an important goal.
- Excess & surplus industry experience is required.
- Relevant industry designations (CPCU, ASLI, CIC, RPLU, etc.) are a plus.
- Interest and ability to become a licensed Property & Casualty producer is a plus, if not licensed already.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Competitive healthcare and vacation benefits.
- A flexible time-off policy
- 401k program
- Education reimbursement
- Being immersed in the early days of a growing company who is using technology to improve how insurance is distributed
- A brilliant and wonderfully supportive team to learn and laugh with