Full-Stack Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
At PatientBank our goal is simple: build simple, highly functional tools that make healthcare better. We want to empower people to own their own medical data and easily share it with others who need it. In today’s healthcare system, medical records are inconsistent, maintained across thousands of systems, and often inaccessible to patients and even their doctors—it’s a messy and antiquated system. Yet at PatientBank we believe that there is no problem that can’t be solved by exceptional software—and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for a software engineer who wants to rebuild healthcare’s data systems with us.
- Build and maintain all aspects of the PatientBank platform, including features and experiences for our patients, tools for our admins and operations specialists, and endpoints for our API.
- Own all aspects of the product development process—ship features, analyze their effectiveness, and improve them over multiple sprints.
- Work closely with our Operations and Product teams to identify and develop new features and tools to improve our medical records retrieval process.
- Collaborate with our Marketing team on growth initiatives—we have 2.5 million SEO landing pages for every doctor, clinic, and hospital in the country, as an example.
- Write code across our entire stack (Ruby on Rails, Angular/React).
- Have experience (personal, professional or academic) building products on the web.
- Be driven to consistently improve and iterate on your own work but also the work of your peers—subscribe to the belief that “nothing at PatientBank is someone else’s problem.” (Thanks for the inspiration, Facebook)
- Have the drive and ability to learn faster (and at a deeper level) than your peers.
- Have a pattern of seeking out (the right) data before making decisions and know when you don’t know something.
- Have a deep passion and knowledge of one or two languages as well as a broad understanding of standard web languages.
- Be able to communicate clearly and succinctly with all types of people—not just engineers.
- Be comfortable dealing with messy data and processes and know how to iteratively make them better—healthcare still communicates primarily with fax, for instance.
PatientBank helps people gather and share medical records online. We're replacing the fax machine as the de facto mode for transferring data in healthcare, and we've already retrieved records from over 2,500 unique hospitals. Our team is responsible for using the data at our disposal to rebuild healthcare's medical records infrastructure in a simple, elegant, and patient-centric way. PatientBank is based in San Francisco and is backed by some of the world's best investors, such as Y Combinator, General Catalyst, Khosla Ventures, SV Angel, Spectrum 28, and Data Collective.