Senior Controls Engineer
Austin, TX /
Research & Development – Automation & Engineering Services /
At Pattern Bioscience, we’re tackling antibiotic resistance, one of the biggest public health challenges of our time. We use machine learning and microfluidics to quickly recognize the bacteria causing an infection and to predict which drugs will cure the infection.
We are looking for a Senior Controls/Design Engineer, who loves designing automated machines and solving problems, to develop equipment to produce our diagnostic consumable. You will design, commission, and qualify custom equipment in service of increased production, quality, and efficiency. You will work on our Automation & Engineering Services team and collaborate with Manufacturing, R&D, and external contractors. This is a full-time, onsite position.
- 90 Days: Learn and update our surface treatment fixture PLC controls and update the hardware as needed to improve the process
- 90 Days: Develop and implement a 1st generation continuous wash fixture
- 6 Months: Support design and development of reagent plug pick-n-place automation
- 6 Months: Design and develop desiccant dispenser automation
How You Will Contribute
- Work with the production team to coordinate equipment bring up or down time for Design of Experiment (DOE) characterization, design, and controls
- Design and develop controls and equipment for production to improve quality, process, or throughput
- Select and implement statistical process control software
We'd Love to Hear from You if You
- Are a hands-on, independent and creative problem solver
- Create documentation of controls methodology, wire diagrams, hardware design, including detailed design drawings
- Are organized and practice effective project management
- Can communication effectively in both written and oral formats across technical disciplines and roles
- Flexibly navigate shifts in priority and strategy and enjoy working in a dynamic startup environment
- Utilize emotional intelligence techniques to collaborate across teams and levels
Desired Education and Experience
- B.S. in Engineering with 7 years’ experience with equipment and machine design
- Proficient in PLC ladder logic controls, HMIs, Vision Systems, and robotic controls programming
- Experience with PID loop tuning (Open and Closed loops)
- Proficient in 3D CAD design, SolidWorks preferred
- Experienced in design, development, and implementation of automated production equipment
- Experience running effective DOEs that result in improved product quality and process efficiency
Experience and Knowledge Considered a Plus
- Experience in an FDA regulated environment
- Experience with Omron PLC controls
- Knowledge of ISO 9001
- Knowledge of ANSI and NEC safety standards
Application Instructions: In lieu of writing a cover letter or overly customizing your resume, we invite you to fill out the application questions. These allow you to speak directly to what we're seeking in the role, and the responses are reviewed by hiring managers. Given the various differences among formatting for resumes, this also allows you to highlight the pertinent information to the hiring manager quickly.
Join us! We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
* Health insurance
* 401k Matching
* Paid Time Off
* The opportunity to make a global impact
To fulfill our mission and build world-changing technology, we’ve put together a diverse, multi-disciplinary top-notch team, a culture of innovation, learning, adaptability, and excellence and environment where people love coming to work.
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.