Microbiology Laboratory Supervisor
Austin, TX /
Clinical, Regulatory, and Quality Affairs – Microbiology /
At Pattern Bioscience, we’re tackling antibiotic resistance, one of the biggest public health challenges of our time. We use machine learning and microfluidics to quickly recognize the bacteria causing an infection and to predict which drugs will cure the infection.
We are seeking a Microbiology Laboratory Supervisor to lead our microbiology laboratory and provide expertise across our organization on performing antimicrobial susceptibility testing, culture-based microbiology testing, and microbial identification. You will also participate in research collaborations internally and with external partners. In this role, you will lead formally and informally, interacting with groups in R&D, Quality, Clinical Affairs, and Manufacturing, while also being an individual contributor. Besides overseeing the daily operational activities of the Microbiology Laboratory, your strategic improvements will increase the performance, quality and efficiency of our assay development and laboratory services. This role is for you if you love bacteriology and antimicrobial resistance, building and implementing laboratory systems & processes, and teaching & mentoring teammates.
- 90 Day: Enhance inventory control process for laboratory
- 90 Day: Establish microbial strain bank needed to support clinical trials and internal development efforts
- 90 Day: Validate and implement blood culture instrumentation and MALDI-TOF MS for microbial identification
- 180 Day: Lead team in comprehensive creation of SOPs for microbiology processes
- 180 Day: Transition labs to GLP and GCP
How You Will Contribute
- Ensure the accuracy of microbiology practices; optimize microbiology workflow; serve as a liaison between R&D, clinical, quality, and regulatory
- Oversee the microbial strain bank
- Provide microbiology support for analytical studies needed for FDA submissions
- Work with the R&D team to proactively advise on challenges and approaches to AST method development for the Pattern device
- Provide on-site support of day-to-day laboratory operations and clinical specimen management
- Manage and develop a team of microbiology laboratory scientists
We'd Love to Hear from You if You
- Possess clinical microbiology domain expertise, including knowledge of microbes, culture conditions, microbiology instrumentation (including MALDI-TOF MS for microbial identification and automated blood culture instrumentation), antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Solve problems proactively, especially when it comes to preempting and troubleshooting microbiology and AST challenges
- Comfortably manage conflict and ambiguity, leading others to understand and accept values, strategies, goals, and plans in response to changing business conditions
- Enjoy and pursue excellence in mentoring and coaching others
- Excel in planning and organizing yourself and groups of people, with strong attention to detail and communication skills
- Follow as well as lead and give clear written and verbal directions with a high level of accuracy
- Enjoy being self-directed and independent
Desired Education & Experience
- B.Sc. in microbiology, medical technology or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory Setting or other regulated environment (e.g. CAP, CLIA, FDA, food safety, etc.)
- Experience working with BSL-2 microbes
- Experience with validating and implementing performing antimicrobial susceptibility testing, MALDI-TOF MS for microorganism identification, and automated blood culture systems
- Proficient in MS Office
A Plus if You Have
- Minimum of 2 years in a leadership role (including people leadership)
- ASCP or ASCLS certification or equivalent
Instead of customizing a cover letter or rewriting a resume to try to feature the attributes and experience this role is seeking, we invite you to fill out the application questions. The hiring manager reviews every response, and the questions allow you to highlight the qualifications that make you a great fit for the role.
Join us! We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
* Health insurance
* 401k Matching
* Paid Time Off
* The opportunity to make a global impact
To fulfill our mission and build world-changing technology, we’ve put together a diverse, multi-disciplinary top-notch team, a culture of innovation, learning, adaptability, and excellence and environment where people love coming to work.
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.