Microbiology Laboratory Scientist
Austin, TX /
Clinical, Regulatory, and Quality Affairs – Microbiology /
At Pattern Bioscience, we’re tackling antibiotic resistance, one of the biggest public health challenges of our time. We use machine learning and microfluidics to quickly recognize the bacteria causing an infection and to predict which drugs will cure the infection.
We are seeking a Microbiology Laboratory Scientist to perform antimicrobial susceptibility testing, culture-based microbiology testing, and microbial identification for our Pattern Laboratory. In this role, you will interact with groups in R&D, Quality, Clinical Affairs, and Manufacturing. Besides performing work essential to the daily operational activities of the microbiology laboratory (including microbial cultures, equipment maintenance, and procedure development), your efforts will improve the quality and efficiency of our research and assay development activities. This role is for you if you love bacteriology & antimicrobial resistance and building & implementing laboratory systems & processes.
- 180 Day: Provide microbiology support for successful analytical studies needed for FDA submission
- 180 Day: Support validation and implementation of MALDI-TOF MS microbial identification system and continuously monitored blood culture system
- 180 Day: Support lab transition to GLP
How You Will Contribute
- Perform microbiology testing, including culture-based testing, Gram stains, and antimicrobial susceptibility testing
- Provide microbiology support for clinical affairs, manufacturing, assay research and development
- Troubleshoot microbiology methods
- Draft and review laboratory standard operating procedures
- Perform required quality controls of reagents, media, assays, instrumentation etc.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance tasks (such as cleaning and equipment maintenance)
We'd Love to Hear from You if You
- Possess clinical microbiology domain expertise: knowledge of clinically relevant microbes, culture conditions, microbiology instrumentation (including MALDI-TOF MS for microbial identification and automated blood culture instrumentation), antimicrobial susceptibility testing, etc.
- Are willing to quickly learn and master new laboratory techniques
- Have an outstanding work ethic and passion for multi-disciplinary product development
- Have a drive to innovate, find and solve problems
- Apply critical thinking and analysis to your work
- Enjoy working self-directed and independently as well as collaborating with others in open environment
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have excellent planning and organization skills, attention to detail
Desired Education & Experience
- B.Sc. in microbiology, medical technology or related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory Setting or other regulated environment (e.g. CAP, CLIA, FDA, food safety, etc.)
- Experience working with BSL-2 microbes
- Knowledge of and experience with performing antimicrobial susceptibility testing, MALDI-TOF MS for microorganism identification, and automated blood culture systems
- Proficient in MS Office
A Plus if You Have
- Certification from ASCP or ASCLS, or microbiology specialist certification
Instead of customizing a cover letter or rewriting a resume to try to feature the attributes and experience this role is seeking, we invite you to fill out the application questions. The hiring manager reviews every response, and the questions allow you to highlight the qualifications that make you a great fit for the role.
Join us! We're excited for what you can bring to our team. Here are a few things we provide to make sure you have a great experience. Learn more about our team by visiting our website.
* Health insurance
* 401k Matching
* Paid Time Off
* The opportunity to make a global impact
To fulfill our mission and build world-changing technology, we’ve put together a diverse, multi-disciplinary top-notch team, a culture of innovation, learning, adaptability, and excellence and environment where people love coming to work.
We value diversity on our teams. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.