Soil Science Lab Technician - Temporary
San Francisco Bay Area /
Soil Science /
Pattern Ag is an agricultural technology company leveraging advances in genomics, data science, and microbiology to help farmers improve the productivity, profitability, and sustainability of their land. By applying genomic analysis to farm soil, we unlock a wide range of predictive insights that help farmers improve their soil health and optimize their spend on seed, crop protection, and fertility inputs. Combining these insights with the latest in digital sensing, data science, and machine learning, we are ushering in the era of predictive agriculture, powering on-farm decision making for millions of acres, and billions in crop spend.
Our soil science team is seeking an entry level lab technician for production-level sample analysis. The successful applicant will be working on a team focused on soil nutrient chemistry. This is an excellent position in the life science/chemistry field for those who would like to gain lab/work experience in a fast-paced startup environment and be exposed to the various processes of the company.
This is a full-time position of approximately 40 hours a week for lab assistance and sample processing. Employee will work under the direction of the Soil Science Senior Lab Manager. Work is achieved during 8-hour work days, Monday through Friday
Start Date: by the week of September 19th. The length of employment will be a minimum of 3 months with possibility of extension based on business requirements.
- Preferred lab experience in: Life Sciences - Biology, Chemistry
- Measuring soil pH and buffer pH
- Extracting soil samples for macro- and micronutrients
- Running state-of-the-art instrumentation
- Maintain order and cleanliness in the laboratory
- Keep track of supplies
- Other responsibilities as required
Skills and Special Requirements
- Strong Microsoft Office / Google Docs skills
- Ability to quickly learn new processes and multitask
- Accurate typing skills required
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Be familiar with general laboratory safety guidelines
- Practice safety measures at all levels
- Be reliable and consistent for tracking materials
- Have good work habits and the ability to work well independently
- Basic laboratory skills such as pipetting and weighing
Work Experience to be gained
- Interact daily with lab personnel
- Become familiar with NGS and soil science
- Hone lab reporting skills and processes
- Learn about startups and Ag Biotech industry
- Process management and streamlining workflows
Work Environmental & Physical Demands
- The characteristics described below are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing duties of this job, would be required to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop or kneel, talk and hear, and use fingers and hands
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Job will be performed in a Lab environment
- Dress is casual and Protective Personal Equipment is supplied as well as lab coats
Thank you for considering Pattern Ag. We look forward to reviewing your application!