Software Engineer (Java)
Technology - Digital
Software Engineer – Java
· Develop your career with NZ’s leading payments provider
· Define the best way to build future payments software
· Great culture and team!
Paymark keeps the economy of the country going. Over 1 billion transactions are processed each year over our switch. We’re also a significant player in the e-commerce world and we’re transforming the digital payments landscape for our customers.
Our vision is to create the best experience for New Zealand businesses, and to do this we need a passionate, innovative, team player to join our adventure.
Our team is growing fast, and we need new people to help us develop our online apps and services. We’d like someone who can help us to build new features and extend and maintain our existing products, as well as help with proof of concept work and to help our Platform Operations team to support our AWS infrastructure.
Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be doing:
This is a Software Engineering role, working with a product-focussed team. Although you’ll spend much of your time working with Java, you’ll also be writing code in other languages and using a variety of technologies.
You’ll be involved in all parts of the process, seeing through features from an idea to production. In a normal week though you can expect to be spending time on:
· Building new product features. We work in cross-functional product-focussed team. Each sprint we aim to see features from an idea through to something our customers can use.
· Defining architecture. You’ll be closely involved in defining the best way to build our software so that we can release fast, ensure easy maintenance and deliver value to our customers.
· Helping your team to be their best. There are always better ways to do things, whether by automating existing processes or improving the way we build and deliver our software. Your improvements will be essential to helping us to be our best.
· Developing proof of concepts. It can be hard to know the best way to build some features or whether an idea is at a stage ready to present to our customers. You’ll be helping to test out these ideas by building small proof of concepts that we can demonstrate to each other and to the Product team.
· Supporting the infrastructure. You’ll be responsible for seeing your software from end-to-end so you’ll also define its required cloud infrastructure. You’ll have access to production to deploy and support your software, and you’ll help to support things if they go wrong (but hopefully not…).
What we’re looking for:
· 5+ years’ experience as a software development engineer.
· Strong team, inter-personal and documentation skills.
· Demonstrable experience with the software development life cycle, e.g. Agile / DevOps.
· Strong knowledge of Java, Python and Unix-like operating systems.
· Ideally, knowledge of common web based and mobile technologies/platforms.
· A good understanding of databases and database application frameworks (ideally MySQL)
· Competent with version control concepts, especially Git.
· Knowledge of development tools, automation, scripting and how these apply to the concepts of continuous integration/deployment/delivery and agile software development.
· Knowledge of cloud-based platforms, ideally AWS.
What’s it like to work here?!
Well we don’t take ourselves too seriously here, we dress casual, we look after our people with fresh fruit daily, flu jabs, birthday leave, and massage (I know right!). We even give our people money to go towards something that enriches their life, from gym memberships, to PlayStation’s, to golf clubs or dancing lessons (whatever tickles your fancy)!
We’ve got exceptional people working here and you’ll be joining a really credible and talented team, who are united by keeping the customer at the heart of everything they do.
Ready to change how New Zealand business succeeds?! Apply here today - https://www.paymark.co.nz/careers/