Assistant Product Developer
San Francisco, California /
Peak Design makes radical, meticulously-engineered gear for detail-obsessed people. Our backpacks, travel bags, camera gear, and phone accessories are used dang-near everywhere. If you’ve visited Machu Picchu, Tokyo, or an REI store in the last 10 years, you’ve been within ogling distance of a Peak Design product.
Alongside our award-winning gear is a brand that truly reflects who we are as people—passionate about design, deeply caring about our environmental and social impact, unafraid to speak up, radically transparent, and generally down to clown. Whether we’re explaining a product, running a sale, launching a nonprofit, sponsoring a film, or razzing the biggest company on Earth, we do it with our trademark honesty, warmth, and wit. Through our products and our brand, we aim to create delight, and leave this world better than how we found it.
ABOUT THE JOB
As the Assistant Product Developer at Peak Design, you’ll have the opportunity to be a force multiplier for the soft goods product creation team. We need someone to own the nitty gritty of keeping us organized, serve as our pillar of support on new product developments, and know what’s what on production standards. You’ll conquer our mountains of data, drive our filing system like an information wizard, and generally serve as our team’s steward.
To meet your goals, you’ll need to be highly organized and detail-oriented, and possess a passion for product. We’re looking for a service-oriented team player that thrives in a support role, and knows they are invaluable to the group’s overall success as a result.
This position is highly administrative and task-oriented, with the ability to learn and grow into more product-specific work in the long term. You will gain exposure to the design and development process, and will have the opportunity to shadow our experienced product developers.
What You’ll Do:
• Manage the physical and digital material libraries
• Manage the sample library
• Work with designers & developers to create Bills of Materials
• Help manage the pre-production & testing process for new product
• Help developers track and set internal golden samples for record-keeping
• Help developers track new sample requests from vendors
• Support Soft Goods Development team with administrative tasks to ensure efficient day-to-day operations as well as record accuracy and accessibility
Note: Several members of the product development team travel nationally and internationally. However, travel is not a requirement or function of this role at this time.
• You have 2-3 years experience in product creation
• You are highly organized and self-motivated, possess strong attention to detail and time management skills, are able to work independently and take initiative, have a curiosity for learning, and can maintain flexibility with shifting demands and priorities.
• Physical requirements: Frequently lift, carry, push, or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds, including around the office and up and down ladders. (Consistent with its obligations under the law, Peak Design will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job.)
• You are able and willing to work 2-3 days per week in our San Francisco office (Dogpatch neighborhood).
• You use and care a lot about gear (photography, outdoor, or other passion areas). You also have strong opinions about the products that you use in your life and enjoy debating what makes these products great.
• You are a systems thinker and love optimizing workflow and efficiency -- you are capable of navigating surprise roadblocks with rational thinking and problem solving.
• You are an excellent writer and communicator.
• Experience with Google Drive (especially Sheets) and PLM are a plus, as is a degree in a related field.
$70,000 - $110,000 a year
When we find the right candidate, we strive to extend an offer that’s exciting and competitive. We consider the skills and experience you bring, market data for your role, level, and location, and equitability across these areas as defined by our compensation philosophy.
The base salary for this role is targeted between $70,000 - $110,000 USD. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors and may vary from the amounts listed above.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 100% covered employee premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Life/AD&D, long-term disability, and short-term disability coverage
- Generous mental health and fertility health reimbursement options
- 401(k) plan with employer matching
- Unlimited PTO policy, 12 paid company holidays, and flexible work schedules
- 100% paid parental leave
- Peak Design product and exclusive industry discounts
- Monthly cell phone reimbursement
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annual career development stipend
- Charitable donation program with employer matching
- Quarterly onsite or offsite collaboration weeks with the whole Peak Design team
Thanks to the folks at Outside Magazine, we can tell you that Peak Design is an objectively great place to work. Why? We provide opportunities to go deep in your craft, work both autonomously and collaboratively, drive your professional growth, and recharge with flexible Fridays and unlimited paid time off -- the saucy list of perks and benefits goes on. So, how do we maintain this exquisite way of working while also pulling off an exceptionally thoughtful brand and product line? A close-knit culture that values transparency, community, trust, and questioning the status quo.
Many employees find the way we run our business to be radically different from what they’ve experienced elsewhere. You might call it the opposite of micromanagement: employees are often expected to set their own priorities and roadmaps for their areas of the business. Who thrives here? Self-starters. Question-askers. People who make their own to-do lists. Folks who can do a little bit of everything. People who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty with nitty-gritty details in order to see a vision through.
If you prefer to work in a more traditional corporate environment, Peak Design might not be the place for you. But if you’re pickin’ up what we’re putting down, we look forward to hearing from you!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION & BELONGING
At Peak Design we believe a diverse team is an innovative team and something worth celebrating. A range of perspectives and backgrounds creates a stronger and more creative work environment (not to mention more fun). We’re committed to equality and inclusivity across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
Some candidates may see a long list of job requirements and feel discouraged because they don’t match every single bullet point – we strongly encourage you to apply anyway! If what we do resonates with you, and you feel excited and able to contribute, we’re equally stoked for the opportunity to engage with you.
Peak Design provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in the job application and interview process (including if you have any difficulty using our online system). If you need such an accommodation, please complete the application form below.