Engineering Project Manager - Phone Cases
San Francisco, CA /
Peak Design is a product design company. We make an ever-growing line of durable, sustainably-built bags, travel gear, camera gear, and phone accessories for a wide swath of commuters, creatives, and adventurers. In an increasingly digital world, we think it’s pretty rad to make actual physical things that people use (and love—our customers tend to be loyal and passionate).
We were born on Kickstarter, and we continue to launch products there. We have no outside investors, which gives us the unique freedom to pursue that which makes us happy. In fact, our company mission statement has a simple preamble: the purpose of Peak Design is to create happy, meaningful lives for our employees.
There are currently 50 of us. We love our jobs, we love each other, and we couldn’t be more stoked for the future of our company. We believe a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds creates a stronger and more creative work environment. We’re committed to equality and inclusivity across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
We also have lots and lots of fun.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Peak Design has traditionally made both hard goods and soft goods (think tripods and backpacks) and as of March 2022 made its first foray into the world of mobile by creating an ecosystem of phone cases, mounts and accessories.
This is a project management role focused on the research, development, testing and planning that is required to bring new phone cases to market with each new phone launch. You will also be a key member of the broader product & project management team at Peak Design and likely take on side projects to further improve our product lifecycle efficiency and cross functional team communication. Your day to day and focus areas will change throughout the year based on where we are in the mobile & beyond product life cycle, but you can expect to do the following on a regular basis:
- Continuous monitoring of our current case sales as well as external research to understand the phone and case markets to help drive decisions around which future phone models to support with our ecosystem and when we need to start developing these cases
- Using the Peak Design phase gate system to ensure cases launch on time and with as few hiccups as possible
- Working closely with:
1) Our in-house industrial design and engineering teams, contract manufacturing partner, and manufacturing partner to design, develop, and bring new case SKUs to market
2) Our marketing team to align on sample requests and schedule to create a successful go-to-market strategy for each new case launch
3) Our customer success team to understand any customer complaints and make product changes to our current cases as needed
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design
- 2+ years experience with hands-on product or project management
- Experience taking a product from concept to market (ideally this experience is in the mobile case space)
- Willing to work 1-2 days a week in the office (San Francisco - Dogpatch)
- Familiarity with mass production of consumer products
- You use and care a lot about gear (photography, outdoor, or other passion areas).
- You have strong opinions about the products that you use in your life and enjoy debating what makes these products great
- You are a systems thinker and love optimizing workflow and efficiency -- you are capable of navigating surprise roadblocks with rational thinking and problem solving
Independence and self sufficiency are key to success at Peak Design. You will not work in a vacuum, but our product team depends on individual autonomy and proactivity. The expectation is that after a couple of design cycles you have developed the skills necessary to project management the development and launch of new cases with minimal oversight.