Assistant Director of College Counseling
Hightstown, New Jersey
Non-Teaching Positions – College Counseling Office /
Full-Time Salaried /
The Peddie School seeks an experienced professional with a background in independent schools or college admissions to join our faculty as an Associate or Assistant Director of College Counseling.
Teaming up and collaborating consistently with three other counselors and an office manager, the Associate/Assistant Director of College Counseling will provide individual college counseling to approximately 35 juniors and seniors (and their families). Using professional context and a social, emotional, and intellectual understanding of each student, the counselor will advise on course selection, standardized test plans, summer opportunities, financial aid, and appropriate college possibilities.
To this end, the counselor must demonstrate developmental knowledge of high school students, as well as an understanding of the evolving landscape of college admissions, higher education, and standardized testing. Developing and maintaining cooperative and constructive relationships with colleagues, students, and other stakeholders is critical to this role. Successful applicants will engage all community members with empathy, enthusiasm, self-awareness, and a sense of humor.
- Primary Duties
- Cultivate professional relationships with students, parents, faculty/staff, and college admissions personnel in order to meet the needs of each cohort.
- Oversee each counselee's candidacy by researching and writing detailed, holistic letters of recommendation, and by serving as primary advocate in the college search and application process for each student.
- Review the application essays of each counselee with a careful consideration of audience (specifically accounting for the admissions context), tone, description, and other such factors.
- Manage each counselee’s file and SCOIR account to ensure the timely submission of credentials to colleges.
- Contribute (in presence and mind) to all events sponsored by the Peddie College Office.
- Travel to regional and national professional development conferences and to individual colleges and universities.
- Create a safe and nurturing environment for all members of the Peddie community.
- Serve as role model for Peddie students and help them aspire to the highest qualities of citizenship.
- At the discretion of the director, supervise projects that support the goals of the office and/or the school.
- Required Qualities and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years’ experience in a selective college’s admissions office and/or college counseling at an independent school preferred
- Excellent writing skills and an appreciation for heavy doses of seasonal writing
- Keenness and skill for working with adolescents and their families across wide-ranging perspectives and priorities
- Multicultural competency and appreciation for life within a diverse and dynamic boarding school environment
- Understanding of the various applications for both need and merit-based financial aid and the ability to assist students and families as they navigate the FA process
- Facility with multiple and changing technological tools
- Ability to adhere to deadlines
- High proficiency with data to support informed decision making
- Commitment to team – Peddie’s College Office is constantly collaborating and considering new ideas to continue to support our students and families
Peddie is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory school for students in grades 9 through post-graduate. Peddie provides a rigorous academic and extracurricular experience both inside and outside the classroom, focusing on preparing students for a lifetime of learning, citizenship, continual growth and opportunity. With a beautiful campus in Hightstown, NJ, and a distinguished history dating back to 1864, the school prides itself on a curriculum that balances tradition with innovation in a genuinely supportive community atmosphere.