Senior Backend Engineer - Remote
Seattle, WA /
Engineering/Product – Backend /
Peek is the leading software platform for tours, activities, and rentals (e.g., hot air balloon rides, boat rentals, ziplining, cooking classes). More than 8 million activities lasting over 1.4 billion hours have been booked through the Peek platform.
Peek’s engineering team takes pride in balancing the fast pace of a startup with the needs of a mature B2B SaaS business. We have a modern tech stack, built with Elixir, Ruby, Ember.js, and Swift. We love GraphQL and Kubernetes and deploy on AWS and GCP.
Peek is 100% remote, and our team of over 120 Peeksters is distributed throughout the Americas.
We believe that adventures are for everyone. Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for delightful new experiences, you will find a home at Peek.
PS: Peek just made the 2021 Forbes America's Best Startups Employer list!
Are you passionate about distributed systems and Elixir? Want to work on interesting technical problems around booking management and payments? Peek is looking for a backend engineer to join its platform team in Seattle. The ideal candidate has 2+ years of backend development experience with Ruby and Elixir and some experience using message queues. Additional experience with service-oriented architectures, GraphQL and/or mobile backend systems is also desired but not required. In this role you will have the opportunity to take a lot of ownership, learn new technologies and influence the technical direction of the Peek platform.
Examples of projects built by backend engineers at Peek:
Integrations with Google, Expedia, TripAdvisor, and Groupon
Standardized activity booking API for the travel industry
See details about Peek’s tech stack here.
We work collaboratively, move fast, and value technical quality. If you are excited about the challenge of building an incredible product while working alongside a great engineering team, we’d love to hear from you!
Our team is 100% remote, however, we prefer candidates in the same time zones as the greater United States (UTC-10 to UTC-4). English is our business language, and fluency is required.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical leadership for the Peek platform, e.g. establishing and maintaining best development practices and thinking deeply about software architecture choices
- Evolve the platform along with both product and technical axis (performance/scalability, security/compliance, DevOps, etc)
- Act as a mentor to fellow software engineers, through code reviews, design document critiques, and brainstorms throughout the software development process
- Collaborate with product managers and business teams to identify and execute best solutions, focusing on business impact, code quality, and maintaining codebase and system health
- Communicate effectively and participate with team members in an Agile environment
- Willingness to take ownership over shared services built and used across all Peek applications
- Deliver production-quality code with adequate automated test coverage
The ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of professional development using Elixir/Ruby
- Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, continuous integration, TDD, etc
- Strong experience in system architecture (application design, databases, etc) and design trade-offs
- Some experience with message queues such as RabbitMQStrong understanding of relational and/or non-relational databases
- Exposure to unit and/or integration test frameworks
- Strong interpersonal communication skills: we work collaboratively to solve problems, and value team success over individual achievement. We love working with people who can ask hard questions, offer unusual solutions, and are willing to compromise when solving challenging problems on a deadline.
- Comfortable working remotely: we are 100% remote, and rely on Slack, email, Signal, and Zoom to stay connected.
- Well organized and self-motivated: we work in a fast-paced environment, our teams are growing, and our priorities shift on a quarterly basis as we move into new markets.
- Advocate for self-care while managing a high workload: we want you to show up as your best self and speak up for what you need to stay healthy and engaged.
Peek Travel Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.