Senior Backend Software Engineer
Engineering/Product – Engineering /
What is Peek?
Peek is the leading software platform for the tours, activities and rentals industry (e.g., hot air balloon rides, boat rentals, ziplining, cooking classes), empowering thousands of operators to automate their businesses and grow revenue by an average of 30%. More than 8 million activities lasting over 1.4 billion hours have been booked through the Peek platform, and Peek activities have received more than one million verified 5-star reviews.
Peek has won numerous awards for innovation, including being named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Travel and a World Economic Forum Tech Pioneer (alongside past winners such as Google and Spotify). Forbes called Peek “North America's Next Travel Unicorn” and the company has raised over $50 million in funding from top tech investors such as Eric Schmidt and Jack Dorsey. Peek’s CEO Ruzwana Bashir has been named one of Fortune's Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs, Fast Company's 100 Most Creative People in Business and was a Finalist for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year.
Peek’s engineering team takes pride in balancing the fast pace of a startup with the needs of a mature B2B SaaS software development business. Our total downtime in 2020 was 4 minutes, yet we ship several times a week. We continue to invest in cutting edge technology and are not afraid of taking on big tech-debt projects: our tech stack has evolved from Ruby on Rails and MongoDB on AWS seven years ago, to a SOA on Elixir and Phoenix with Postgres on Docker + Kubernetes on AWS and GCP. Our frontend code is a single page app in Ember.js and we also develop native mobile iOS apps with a big push to switch our code base to SWIFT.
Peek follows a “remote-first” philosophy, with our team of over 120 Peeksters distributed across exciting locales such as San Francisco, Salt Lake City, New York, Seattle, Chile, Colombia and beyond.
Are you passionate about distributed systems and Elixir? Want to work on interesting technical problems around booking management and payments? Peek is looking for a backend engineer to join its platform team in Seattle. The ideal candidate has 3+ years of backend development experience with Ruby and Elixir and some experience using message queues. Additional experience with service-oriented architectures, GraphQL and/or mobile backend systems is also desired but not required. In this role you will have the opportunity to take a lot of ownership, learn new technologies and influence the technical direction of the Peek platform.
Examples of projects built by backend engineers at Peek:
- Payment processing
- Supplier payments
- Real-time availability
- Fraud detection
- Integrations with Google, Expedia, TripAdvisor and Groupon
- Standardized activity booking API for the travel industry
See details about Peek’s tech stack at https://stackshare.io/peek/peek-stack.
We work collaboratively, move fast, and we value technical quality. If you are excited about the challenge of building an incredible product while working alongside a great engineering team, we’d love to hear from you!
Please note: This role is remote contingent upon your time zone being in-line with the greater USA. If you are located in the U.S, we require existing U.S. work authorization. Peek is not sponsoring new visas at this time.
- Provide technical leadership for the Peek platform, e.g. establishing and maintaining best development practices and thinking deeply about software architecture choices
- Evolve the platform along both product and technical axis (performance/scalability, security/compliance, DevOps, etc)
- Act as a mentor to fellow software engineers, through code reviews, design document critiques, and brainstorms throughout the software development process
- Collaborate with product managers and business teams to identify and execute best solutions, focusing on business impact, code quality and maintaining codebase and system health
- Communicate effectively and participate with team members in an Agile environment
- Willingness to take ownership over shared services built and used across all Peek applications
- Deliver production-quality code with adequate automated test coverage
- 5+ years of professional development using Elixir/Ruby
- Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, continuous integration, TDD, etc
- Strong experience in system architecture (application design, databases, etc) and design trade-offs
- Some experience with message queues such as RabbitMQ
- Strong understanding of relational and/or non-relational databases
- Exposure to unit and/or integration test frameworks
- Degree in CS or similar field, or equivalent work experience
- Able to empathize with users and champion for their experience
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Creative, organized and resourceful
- Intellectually curious with a passion for learning new technologies
- Able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment without skipping a beat
- Demonstrate common sense and exercise good judgment when faced with emergencies
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Asks questions and challenges decision they disagree with thorough and thoughtful discourse
- Experience in a cross platform mobile/web development environment
- Experience working on distributed team
- Experience building high quality, scalable GraphQL APIs that satisfy client requirements
- Experience with service-oriented architecture
Benefits & Perks:
- Medical, dental & vision insurance
- Peek covered Life Insurance of $50,000 with the option to add additional voluntary life insurance
- 401k retirement plan with company matching
- Stock options
- Sick time and 26 days of PTO - includes 10 holidays and a company shut-down during the Christmas and New Year Holidays
- 8 weeks parental leave for primary caregiver and 2 weeks for secondary caregiver
- Apple equipment
- Happy hours and quarterly team outings
- Partner Days (visit our favorite operators in your area)
- Annual Company retreats
- $50 Monthly WFH allowance