Wastewater Treatment Operative (Okehampton - 154_22)
Okehampton, England /
South West Water – Operations - Waste Water Services /
At South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate.
We’re proud to be responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area.
And we have huge ambitions.
Not only are we committed to reaching net-zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come.
So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
Would you like to use your hands-on experience and skills to join a progressive company?
We currently have a Treatment Operator (Wastewater) position available for a motivated individual to join our team based in Okehampton. Joining us on a permanent, full-time basis, you will receive a competitive starting salary of £22,689 per annum with opportunity to enter onto Level 1 of the progression scheme after 1 year service. Levels range from 1 to 5 with a salary of up to £30,661 at Level 5. Plus excellent benefits and a company van provided. In addition to this, you will also receive a salary uplift allowance for taking part in the standby pattern of 1 week in every 5 on call, as well as call out payments and overtime.
About the role
As Treatment Operator, you will operate and maintain multiple Wastewater Treatment works within the area. The catchment includes Torrington, Hatherleigh, Winkleigh, Spreyton and Okehampton areas, so it is essential to live locally for this reactive role. In this role, you will be protecting the environment, enhancing river quality, and helping us to deliver one of our essential services.
What you’ll be doing:
- Carrying out on-site monitoring of treated wastewater and associated plant
- Responding effectively to site conditions and instrument monitoring information
- Storing and handling chemicals in accordance with COSHH, QMS Procedures and relevant Health and Safety standards
- Carrying out calibration and first-line maintenance on instruments & mechanical equipment
- Using PCs, tablets and other computer hardware and software
- Carrying out grass-cutting, weed-killing, and general maintenance in order to maintain site conditions
- Providing thorough, accurate and timely feedback of activities completed
- Adhering to schedules, business rules, and procedures
- Liaising with Area Manager and Field Support Centre to ensure schedules are optimised
- Dealing effectively with customer queries when directly approached and passing information up the management line where appropriate
- A flexible working pattern is in operation which includes undertaking standby and call-outs and working evenings and weekends on a rota basis
- Travelling throughout the region and assisting other zones as necessary
What we are looking for:
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent in Maths, English and a Science subject desirable
- An NVQ 2 qualification in Wastewater operations is desirable but full training will be given
- Experience of working in a team and an understanding of the importance of teamwork
- Experience of Health and Safety and an understanding of the importance of it
- Previous experience of operating and maintaining complex processes and working with modern technology is desirable
- Proven experience of working with computers, tablets and various applications/software packages
- Common sense approach to fault finding
- Commitment and drive to succeed within a team environment
What's in it for you:
- Great work hours of 08:00am – 16:00pm Monday to Thursday, with early finish Fridays at 15:30pm
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Share-save Scheme
- Various health benefits
- Wellbeing support programmes
- A range of Group Discounts
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Financial support services
- And plenty more!
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We’re one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition.
In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits including:
Closing Date: Monday 4th July 2022
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Wastewater Treatment Operative - we look forward to receiving your application.
Please note that the successful candidate will be subject to a mandatory DBS check as part of the onboarding process.
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
· Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
· Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
· Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
· Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.