Payables Assistant (322/22)
Exeter, England /
South West Water – Finance /
Fixed Term Contract
At South West Water we believe that the strongest businesses are built on solid, stable foundations - with a vision and a culture that gives them the freedom to change, improve and innovate.
We’re proud to be responsible for providing reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for the beautiful South West area.
And we have huge ambitions.
Not only are we committed to reaching net-zero by 2030, but we’ve also partnered with wildlife charities, National Parks and local partners to help ensure a better future for generations to come.
So, if you want to be part of a diverse team where opportunities flow and fresh ideas are welcomed, #JustAddWater.
We currently have a Payables Assistant position available for a motivated individual to join our team in Exeter. Joining us on a full-time, fixed term contract for 12 months, you will receive a competitive salary of £20,000 - £22,000 per annum depending on experience plus excellent benefits.
About the role
The Payables Assistant’s role helps to provide a high-quality service to the whole business. Critical tasks include validating (and investigating where necessary) large volumes of invoices received from a range of suppliers. This will help to ensure timely and accurate payment and therefore a continuation of service to all areas of the business.
What you’ll be doing:
- Collation of invoices and supporting information from all points of entry into the business
- Validation and scanning of invoices via KOFAX into the invoice storage system
- Manually entering non-order invoices into the invoice storage system
- Assist in investigations where the invoices do not follow the automatic route through to payment via a variety of work queues
- Ongoing housekeeping of both the scanning system and the invoice storage system
- Payment run preparation – ensuring that payments are validated and evidenced in accordance with tight audit guidelines.
- Working with external stakeholders to resolve queries related to invoices and payments
- Assisting in the regular production of cheques
- Sorting post and ensuring correspondence goes to the right place
- Reconciliation of supplier statements
- Dealing with queries from suppliers – these could be in various forms, e.g. telephone, e-mail or standard written correspondence
- Dealing with queries from internal departments relating to suppliers and payments
- Assist with the preparation and posting of journals to ensure internal accounting is accurate
What we are looking for:
- Experience in using all Microsoft Office applications
- Good organisational skills, self-motivation and the ability to prioritise workload in order to meet deadlines
- GCSE grade C (minimum) in English and Maths, or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to communicate with a wide range of colleagues
- Able to work with a high attention to detail and to process financial information accurately and efficiently
- Enjoy working as part of a team, but also happy to work on individual tasks
- Previous experience within a Payables environment would be advantageous
What's in it for you:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Share-save Scheme
- Various health benefits
- Wellbeing support programmes
- A range of Group Discounts
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Financial support services
- And plenty more!
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We’re one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition.
In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits including:
Closing Date: Tuesday 5th July 2022
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
· Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
· Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
· Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
· Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.