Senior Backend Engineer
London, UK / EMEA (Remote 🌎 in +3/-3h CET) /
Research & Development – Engineering /
Permanent – Full Time
Pento is setting a new standard in payroll with its tech-enabled payroll solution for modern People and Finance teams. Pento lets you run payroll in real-time, automating the entire process. We're a remote-first company, pushing forward how we work for the better.
We're looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our growing team. Your mission is to help our customers by building a world class product.
The role 💬
We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer who cares deeply about building flawless features across the entire stack while challenging our thinking on software architecture. Someone with a passion for building beautiful products, who is always up for a challenge.
This is an opportunity to join a team of talented problem solvers, looking at untangling a complex problem, and finding simple solutions. Through your work, you will have a direct impact on how people get paid, helping take Pento to the next level and building a seamless experience for our customers.
More about the role and responsibilities
* Research, develop and document new software solutions
* Work closely with both product and design to understand our customers' needs and iterate on findings to deliver a great user experience throughout our platform
* Collaborate with the product engineering team in an agile manner
* Take operational responsibility for the code that you write over the entire software development life cycle
* Maintain and improve our existing codebase
* Write fully tested, high quality and performant code
* Provide support on our production code, from customer related operations to bug fixing
* Mentor and coach other Software Engineers
* Champion the writing of high quality code
* Contribute to our overall approach and standards within the Engineering discipline
* Maintain the standard of quality for our codebase and engineering team through hiring
* Steer Engineering initiatives, working closely with Lead Engineers
Our tech stack ⚙️
We build and host our application and tools using modern and reliable technologies that our team knows and trusts, including React, GraphQL, Golang, Node.js, PostgreSQL, Docker and Kubernetes.
Our levelling 🪜
Titles and compensation at Pento are dependent on our internal levelling which we'll assess throughout the interview process. We can't guarantee titles and compensation until later in our process once we've assessed competencies, technical skills, and where you land on our frameworks, but our Engineering IC levels and salary bands are:
* Level 1 - Junior Engineer (Engineer I) - £40-50k
* Level 2 - Mid Engineer (Engineer II) - £55-75k
* Level 3 - Senior Engineer - £80-92k (this level)
* Level 4 - Staff Engineer - £95-115k
* Level 5 - Principal Engineer - £120-135k
Your qualities 💎
- You own your impact. You find a way to make things happen, and your word is your bond - when you say something will happen, it happens
- You deliver excellence at speed. You're able to balance between focus, planning, execution, and iteration to unlock being able to move forward delivering quality outcomes as pace.
- You champion the customer. Our customers underpin everything we do. You use the customer’s perspective to communicate product history and future vision. You can show deep empathy for the customer and use the customer as your north star to drive decisions and rally teams around the impact and value.
- You communicate intentionally. Through your delivery, you can clearly communicate to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. You’re a careful listener who can probe effectively and defend your proposals with arguments developed from your deep understanding.
Your experience ✨
- You have years of professional experience in software engineering, working in a team environment at a Mid or Senior level
- You have experience in backend development, building, running and debugging web applications
- You're knowledgeable about statically typed programming languages and relational databases, preferably Golang and PostgreSQL
- You’re familiar with defining and building GraphQL APIs
- You're passionate about writing understandable and testable code
- You have experience with system design
Working at Pento 👩🏿💻
Our people-first, remote environment supports our team in adopting flexible and tailored ways of working. You can learn more about who we are and how we like to work over at Pento Home.
Our benefits include:
• An equity option plan for our permanent employees, so you can all benefit from our success
• Flexible working, and the best tech and home set-up equipment of your choice
• Unlimited time off and yearly team summits
• The opportunity to join an early-stage tech company on an incredible trajectory
You can read more about our broader perks here 💜
Don’t worry about your past experience being a 100% fit; we know that’s practically impossible anyway! If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you resonate with the role and the impact it will drive, let’s talk.
We're committed to building a team capable of building a product for everyone, representing different and varied backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. We welcome applications from everyone, regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, and just about anything else.
We're proud to be a remote-first company, so we add a #LI-Remote tag to our postings to make sure the remote nature of our roles are picked up by syndication boards.