Quality Engineering Manager
Alameda, CA /
Engineering – Quality Engineers /
In a pivotal role on our quality engineering team, you will be the driving force behind the quality of some of Penumbra's most innovative products. You will provide leadership and drive results in all aspects of product development and manufacturing in order to ensure the highest level of quality in new and existing products, and their compliance to applicable regulations and standards. Your efforts will directly impact the safety of patients around the world who use Penumbra's products. You will apply your passion for detailed analysis for identifying problems and determining the appropriate course of action. You will be looked to for communicating quality objectives and building a culture of quality throughout the company.
What Success Looks Like
- As a leader, manage the quality engineering functions in support of production to ensure conformance to the Penumbra Quality Management System, FDA QSR, ISO standards, and other regulatory requirements within a multidisciplinary team
- Direct management of Quality Engineers that support quality inspection and manufacturing of Penumbra products
- Mentor and develop cross-functional team members with the mentality that their success is your success
- Provide subject matter expertise with external/internal audits, design of experiments, process validations, statistics, test method validations, measurement system analysis, sterilization validations, new product development, and risk
- Take the lead on continuous improvement initiatives
- With your top-notch critical thinking, find ways to make Penumbra's quality system better
- Ensure product quality associated with our most robust array of product lines
- With a high level of customer service, provide engineering support to designated production lines
- Support the vendor management process to maintain strong relationships with suppliers
- Continually improve technical processes and ensure reliability; implement inspections that meet Penumbra's quality standards
- Manage the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for assigned product families and functional production areas
- Assess, develop, evaluate, implement, and maintain process control systems
- Adhere to the Company’s Quality Management System (QMS) as well as domestic and global quality system regulations, standards, and procedures.
- Ensure other members of the department follow the QMS, regulations, standards and procedures.*
- Perform other activities requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in the specific area of projects.
What You Bring
- Versatility, flexibility, and willingness to work within a dynamic environment
- The ability to present issues, plans, and objectives in a clear, compelling way, both verbally and through documentation preferred
- Proven track record of working with applicable regulations and standards, e.g. QSR, ISO 13485 required
- Proven work history of growing within an organization, learning its systems, and showing initiative preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required (mechanical, biomedical, or materials engineering preferred)
- 5+ years of industry experience required
- 1+ years of leadership experience required; people management experience preferred
- Deep understanding of sterilization and biocompatibility preferred
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis/evaluation, and scientific methodology
- Class III (preferred) or Class II medical device experience required
- Previous manufacturing engineering or process development experience preferred
What We Offer:
• A collaborative teamwork environment where learning is constant and performance is rewarded
• The opportunity to be part of the team that is revolutionizing the treatment of some of the world's most devastating diseases
• A generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) match; and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Penumbra, Inc., headquartered in Alameda, California, is a global healthcare company focused on innovative therapies. Penumbra designs, develops, manufactures and markets novel products and has a broad portfolio that addresses challenging medical conditions in markets with significant unmet need. Penumbra sells its products to hospitals and healthcare providers primarily through its direct sales organization in the United States, most of Europe, Canada and Australia, and through distributors in select international markets. The Penumbra logo is a trademark of Penumbra, Inc.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you reside in the State of California, please also refer to Penumbra’s Privacy Notice for California Residents.
For additional information on Penumbra’s commitment to being an equal opportunity employer, please see Penumbra's AAP-Policy-Statement.