Cost Accounting Manager
Alameda, CA /
General Administration – Finance & Accounting /
As a Cost Accounting Manager, you will be a key member of our Finance team ensuring all inventory controls and procedures are followed in accordance with GAAP, and accounting modules of the manufacturing system are up to date and functioning properly. You will also review and approve monthly financial results as they relate to cost of sales, manufacturing and distribution, coordinate annual review and update of product standard costs as well as annual physical inventory. You will also maintain transfer prices for inventory sold between subsidiary markets, and lead ERP cost modules (manufacturing, supply chain) implementation from Finance. This position is located in Alameda and is not remote.
What You'll Work On
- Review and approve monthly financial results for cost of goods, manufacturing and distribution operations and associated balance sheet accounts.
- Provide written explanations to management of monthly financial performance.
- Prepare quarterly inventory reserves.
- Partner with Operations to evaluate financial endeavors and continually improve inventory control processes to improve profitability and minimize losses.
- Provide financial guidance in the preparation of annual budgets and periodic forecasts for cost of goods, manufacturing and distribution operations, and associated balance sheet accounts.
- Coordinate annual review and approval of standard costs to ensure proper valuation of inventory and projection of product profitability.
- Establish and routinely review methodology to allocate manufacturing overhead to products in an activity based manner.
- Review and approve cost estimates for all new and reformulated products.
- Coordinate annual physical count of all Shaklee owned inventory at distribution center(s) and third party manufacturing sites.
- Coordinate annual review and approval of inter-company transfer prices for inventory sold between Penumbra owned markets.
- Ensure BPCS (Business Planning and Control System) functions properly to support financial reporting of inventory activities as well as identify enhancements to improve efficiencies and controls.
- Support routine audit requirements with external auditors (Financial and SOX).
- Monitor and resolve interface issues between inventory systems (eWMS/IM/SAP).
- Recruit, develop, evaluate and manage Cost Accounting staff.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree. MBA or CMA preferred.
- 10+ years of accounting experience in a corporate environment with a multi-national structure.
- 10+ years experience specifically in Cost Accounting with progressive responsibilities.
- Strong Manufacturing background where inhouse manufacturing was done with knowledge of manufacturing systems, such as CamStar or other MES systems and processes were required.
- Capable of performing advanced accounting tasks with minimum supervision.
- Must have a significant technical accounting background with strong knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP and IFRS (desired but not qualified).
- Outstanding organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
- Strategic and critical thinking, business judgment, and analytical ability.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team are required.
- Proficient in MS Excel and MS Word and other Microsoft software.
- Medical device industry experience desired.
- SAP or other Tier 1 ERP experience is required.
What We Offer:
• A collaborative teamwork environment where learning is constant and performance is rewarded
• The opportunity to be part of the team that is revolutionizing the treatment of some of the world's most devastating diseases
• A generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; a 401(k) match; and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Penumbra, Inc., headquartered in Alameda, California, is a global healthcare company focused on innovative therapies. Penumbra designs, develops, manufactures and markets novel products and has a broad portfolio that addresses challenging medical conditions in markets with significant unmet need. Penumbra sells its products to hospitals and healthcare providers primarily through its direct sales organization in the United States, most of Europe, Canada and Australia, and through distributors in select international markets. The Penumbra logo is a trademark of Penumbra, Inc.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you reside in the State of California, please also refer to Penumbra’s Privacy Notice for California Residents.
For additional information on Penumbra’s commitment to being an equal opportunity employer, please see Penumbra's AAP-Policy-Statement.