Software Engineering Manager
Remote, EMEA /
ENGINEERING – Eng-Platform /
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Maria DB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our platform team and help continue building out Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM) tool by leading the Client/Server team. PMM is a free and open-source client/server platform for monitoring and managing the performance of SQL/NoSQL based databases and servers or cloud instances. The Software Engineering Manager will lead the team that will continue building our flagship product and partner with our SaaS team to help complete our Percona Platform. The Percona Platform will greatly enhance our ability to deliver additional value and features to our users without them needing to install as many local updates on our PMM Client/Server products and will offer added intelligence to our products. We’re looking for an experienced manager who can grow our distributed work from home team (staff and contractors). We need someone that has a background in developing efficient processes, selecting the right tools as well as ensuring a high pace of delivery and has a demonstrated track record of working across teams to ensure that vital information is not lost as complex development requirements span multiple teams. The Percona people are our most vital asset, so you should be someone that looks to continually invest in helping them be better every day.
What You Will Do
- Remotely build and manage a distributed team of 8-10 developers and testers ranging from experienced to very senior
- Drive software delivery through championing team velocity, predictability, and accountability
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support
- Conduct regular 1:1, goal setting, and feedback conversations with direct reports to ensure team health and individual growth
- Get your hands dirty! You should expect to spend at least 25% of your time contributing technically but won’t be expected to commit to work in sprints (maybe small stories, code reviews, architectural reviews, etc)
- Work with development teams, product managers, product owners, and others to maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, collaboration and set context with the team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business and engineering informed decisions
- Continually find ways to improve processes and efficiencies through technology and automation
- Ownership of teams results, building on the good and taking corrective action on the bad
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing development teams
- Experience managing an agile engineering team that has been responsible for multiple products in an environment they are either shipped to end users or hosted as single Web/SaaS application (huge plus if you’d lead a team that delivered both)
- A cross-team facilitator: working with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly
- Knowledgeable about open source software
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Excellent English communication skills both verbally and written
- Experience in project management with the ability to decompose complicated projects into simple tasks, estimates and manage risks
- Self directed with the ability to operate independently without needing everyday input
- Maturity to build relationships and operate across the organization (not locked to only operate in the vertical chain)
What Will Make You Stand Out
- To truly stand out you should be passionate about leading software development and be able to point to the obstacles you’ve overcome to build amazing teams who in-turn deliver amazing software! Your attitude and aptitude are truly what will get you the role, with your past experiences landing you the interview.
Location: Remote work from home anywhere however a large portion of the broader team is located in GMT+2