remote, Americas /
GLOBAL SERVICES – Professional Services /
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and MariaDB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
At Percona, you'll get a chance to see and work on any database architecture you can imagine. Our Consultants work on projects with a huge variety of companies, from internet startups to established brick and mortar publicly traded companies. We're looking for MySQL experts who can step back and look at the full stack, as well as learn and share their knowledge about other widely used open-source data technologies.
The Consultant will develop relationships with customers, comprehend and fulfill their needs, and maintain their satisfaction through onsite and remote customer engagements. He/she will scope the technical work that is required to ensure the best possible solution is delivered to the customer given the customer’s unique set of business requirements. Additionally, the Consultant will troubleshoot and resolve customer issues of any complexity as the need arises.
You will work remotely and most people work from their homes. Up to 25% travel will be required (when safety regulations permit), both for onsite projects and internal meetings. Access to a reliable high-speed Internet connection is required. This position is for the Americas time zones, and the Consultant must be able to work full-time during US business hours.
What You Will Do
- Perform the entire range of our MySQL/MariaDB consulting services for customers
- Effectively assess not only the dynamics of the technology, but the people managing it, too
- Create multiple types of documentation, whiteboard solutions, and conduct training as required to ensure the client understands and is satisfied with your solution
- Seamlessly maneuver between talking low-level technical details or high level strategy depending on the situation
- Maintain proficiency in all Consulting tools, software, and standard operating procedures
- Be an active thought leader via monthly blogging, quarterly webinars, and conference talks/tutorials at least once per year
- Be an active technical leader via weekly contributions to our Experts forums, email lists, and monthly publishing of KB articles
- 5+ years of MySQL administration, including but not limited to the following areas: InnoDB configuration, performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning, and setup and configuration of backups, high availability and disaster recovery solutions
- 3+ years of Linux administration experience, including performing hands-on work in the areas networking, hardware, virtualization, containers, scripting, and IO subsystems
- 2+ years of performing the following types of engagements: architecture and design reviews, performance audits, and database migrations
- 2+ years in a consulting role leading both short and long-term projects
- Strong Shell skills
- Experience implementing high availability tools e.g. load balancers, HAProxy, ProxySQL, Orchestrator
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: PHP, Java, Nodejs, Go, Python, Ruby
- Production-based experience with both on-premise and cloud environments, including with customers that run database environments across multiple datacenters/regions, and manage large datasets
- Experience delivering presentations to both technical and management/executive teams
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Vagrant, Consul, etc.
- Experience with Content Management Systems (Drupal, Wordpress, etc.) and eCommerce platforms (Magento, etc.)
- Experience with training development and delivery
- Demonstration of active thought leadership in the MySQL/MariaDB community (blogs, conference talks, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret MySQL code for the purpose of debugging and troubleshooting
- Cross-over experience with MongoDB, PostgreSQL or ClickHouse
- Experience working with cloud-native applications and containerization technologies e.g. Docker and Kubernetes
- AWS, Google Cloud, and Microsoft Azure certifications
- Project management experience/certifications
This role will support the Americas time zone. Up to 25% travel is required when safety regulations permit.