PostgreSQL Consultant - remote
GLOBAL SERVICES – Consulting
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
What You Will Do
Our Consultants work on projects with a huge variety of companies, from internet startups to established brick and mortar publicly traded companies. At Percona, you'll get a chance to see and work on any database architecture you can imagine. We're looking for PostgreSQL experts who can step back and look at the full stack, as well as be curious about other widely used open-source data platforms.
The Consultant will develop relationships with customers, comprehend and fulfill their needs, and maintain their satisfaction through onsite and remote customer engagements. He/she will scope the technical work that is required to ensure the best possible solution is delivered to the customer given the customer’s unique set of circumstances.
Additionally, the Consultant will troubleshoot and resolve customer issues of any complexity as the need arises. You will work remotely and most people work from their homes. Some travel is required (up to 25%), both for onsite projects and internal meetings. Access to a reliable high-speed Internet connection is required. This is primarily a PostgreSQL expert position, but Percona also works heavily with MySQL and MongoDB, and anyone with cross-over expertise is a bonus.
What You Will Do
- The ability to perform PostgreSQL and Linux systems consulting
- The ability to talk and collaborate with a customer, envision their problem, and whiteboard solutions
- The ability and desire to figure out how to implement true highly available systems, not just at the database level, but throughout the entire stack
- The passion to see a problem, build a battle plan, and attack the problem
- More than a desire to learn, a thirst and a yearning for learning new ways of doing things. We love people who can think both in and out of the box.
- Someone who not only knows a wide variety of technology, but the wisdom to know when to use it and why.
- Someone who can talk low-level technical details or high level strategy depending on the situation.
- Someone who wants to be challenged, and is uncomfortable by the thought of not moving ahead.
- Interest in mentoring others in and out of the company how to do it as well (blogging, presenting conference talks, delivering training)
- 5+ years of PostgreSQL administration
- Strong knowledge of PL/pgSQL
- At least 3 years of experience in Oracle to PostgreSQL migrations
- Must have handled at least 2 major migration projects independently
- Expertise in converting Oracle PLSQL to PostgreSQL PL/pgSQL
- Experience in enabling continuous replication between heterogeneous database like Oracle and PostgreSQL
- Strong knowledge of Oracle and PostgreSQL data types
- Must be able to identify alternatives for several Oracle features in PostgreSQL
- Experience with migration tools like Ora2pg and AWS Schema Conversion Toolkit
- Understanding of PostgreSQL architecture and internals
- Understanding and working knowledge of various extensions in PostgreSQL
- Understanding of replication and high availability tools and methods
- PostgreSQL parameter tuning
- Deep understanding of tuning memory parameters in PostgreSQL
- PostgreSQL performance analysis
- Strong Shell skills
- Strong Linux administration and troubleshooting skills
- Willingness to travel when needed
- Able to take direction and work through defined processes
- Do what is best for the company
- Willingness to work odd-hours/weekend
- Availability to participate on the on-call list
- Desire to spend time learning and innovating
- Problem-solver who can think for themselves
Location / Time zone: Remote work from home position that can be located anywhere within North America or South America with the ability to travel to USA clients when needed.
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.