Technical Writer - Platform/Cloud (remote)
ENGINEERING – Eng-Platform
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Writer to join our platform team and help continue building Percona Monitoring and Management(PMM) on the newly formed Platform - Cloud team. PMM is a free and open-source client/server platform for monitoring and managing the performance of SQL/NoSQL based databases and servers or cloud instances.
The Senior Technical Writer will serve as our voice to our technical customers ensuring that we have high quality documentation that is thorough but still easy to understand. We want someone who will strive for a consistent delivery of documentation be it help files, man pages, installation guides or user manuals. You should also be comfortable working in a version controlled documentation store as we have several technical writers all striving to ensure our documentation is a scalable strategy to getting users to adopt and successfully leverage our products. Most of all, we want you to bring your experience and expertise to ensure we continually improve our existing practices.
Location/Time zone: Remote / work from home; however we’re targeting candidates in Canada, South Africa or the UK.
What You Will Do
- Create all technical documentation including:man pages, --help prompts, install guides, how to’s, and user manuals
- Partner with our marketing department to ensure our technical and creative approach to communicating our product features is consistent and accurate
- Maintain documentation versions and be a significant contributor to our overall documentation strategy
- Use text, markdown, animations and other approaches to ensuring that audiences of all abilities can find value in our documentation
- Participate in grooming and provide a voice for the Documentation team
- Graduate-level written English and excellent verbal communication skills
- 3+ years experience as a technical writer
- Experience with documenting complex systems
- Experience with writing user-oriented documentation
- Experience with markup languages (reStructuredText preferred)
- Comfortable at the Linux command line
- Experience with installation and configuration of database server software on Linux
- Solid working knowledge of advanced concepts such as database storage engines,at-rest-encryption, and cloud orchestration
- Ability to work with others in a team in a remote setting
- Ability to work remotely and independently
- Highly-motivated self-starter with outstanding time management skills
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Technical writing experience with both SaaS and deployed product offerings
- Bachelor degree (any field, thesis published) or professional publications
- Experience delivering screencasts, webinars
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.