MongoDB Engineer - remote worldwide
GLOBAL SERVICES – Support
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Percona open source database expertise helps businesses avoid downtime and outages, meet customer experience expectations, foster operational and developer collaboration and manage enterprise risks through sound database architecture frameworks.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remote and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
The Percona Services group is responsible for the operational and technical delivery of the services included in the Percona products/services line. The Services group is focused on a high quality, efficient delivery of Percona services that result in high levels of customer satisfaction and retention and low operational costs.
Percona’s MongoDB team is responsible for the performance and availability of our customers’ most critical systems using MongoDB. As a MongoDB Support Services Engineer, you will serve as part of our team’s front line, providing our customers with friendly, helpful and responsive service via chat, e-mail and phone. You will troubleshoot and resolve customer issues of any complexity. You will serve as a subject matter expert in at least two key service areas, as an escalation point for complex issues, and a mentor for fellow team members. You will also help with overflow MySQL DBA needs. You will need basic MySQL DBA experience or higher for this role as well.
You will work remotely; there is no central office, and most people work from their homes. Some travel will be required for internal meetings. Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection is required.This position can work remotely from anywhere in the world, but you will need to be able to travel to company events, conferences, etc. and work either a 1st or 2nd shift for the APAC region.
- Good knowledge of both RDBMS's and MongoDB, including:
- All aspects of configuration and best practices.
- Schema design, performance tuning, query optimization, & index tuning.
- Backup solutions.
- Sharding and shard key selection.
- Engine selection and usage.
- Detailed understanding of monitoring requirements.
- Demonstrable experience of administering Linux based systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot methodically, identifying and applying fixes for known errors, and when necessary, capacity to think outside of the box to resolve complex issues.
- You will need MySQL DBA basic experience or higher (in a production environment).
- Polite, friendly and professional; this position requires significant customer interaction and teamwork.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proven success working in a distributed environment where e-mail, instant messaging and voice calls are the only interactions with clients, colleagues and managers on a daily basis.
- Experience with MySQL / XtraDB Cluster, and NoSQL technologies.
- Expertise running on Cloud Services such as AWS and MongoDB Atlas or hosting providers like Rackspace.
- Experience with MySQL DBA troubleshooting (basic level or higher).
- Experience with Nagios, Percona Monitoring Plugins and other monitoring tools.
- Experience of configuration management solutions such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Experience with tools from the Percona Toolkit suite.
- Experience writing Python and golang is STRONGLY preferred.
- MySQL DBA, MySQL Professional, and/or MongoDB Certificates.
- Knowledge of RocksDB (expert knowledge would be outstanding but not required).
Location: Remote (work from home office) Europe, Africa and South America
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.