Software Engineering Manager (SaaS)
Remote, Eastern Europe
ENGINEERING – Eng-Platform
Percona is a leader in providing best-of-breed enterprise-class support, consulting, managed services, training and software for MySQL®, MariaDB®, MongoDB®, PostgreSQL® and other open source databases in on-premises and cloud environments. Our services and software accommodate rapid growth and application development, help companies develop and deploy agile solutions and improve your ability to keep up with customer needs.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, and help solve some of the most challenging customer problems. We offer flexible hours, competitive salaries, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our platform team and help continue building out Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM) tool by leading the SaaS team. PMM is a free and open-source client/server platform for monitoring and managing the performance of SQL/NoSQL based databases and servers or cloud instances.
The Software Engineering Manager will lead the team that will continue building our SaaS layer to compliment our Client/Server application and help complete our Percona Platform. The Percona Platform will greatly enhance our ability to deliver additional value and features to our users without them needing to install as many local updates on our PMM Client/Server products and will offer added intelligence to our products. We’re looking for an experienced manager who can grow our distributed work from home team (staff and contractors). We need someone that has a background in developing efficient processes, selecting the right tools as well as ensuring a high pace of delivery and has a demonstrated track record of working across teams to ensure that vital information is not lost as complex development requirements span multiple teams. The Percona people are our most vital asset, so you should be someone that looks to continually invest in helping them be better every day.
What You Will Do
- Remotely build and manage a distributed team of 8-10 developers and testers ranging from experienced to very senior
- Drive software delivery through championing team velocity, predictability, and accountability
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support
- Conduct regular 1:1, goal setting, and feedback conversations with direct reports to ensure team health and individual growth
- Get your hands dirty! You should expect to spend at least 25% of your time contributing technically but won’t be expected to commit to work in sprints (maybe small stories, code reviews, architectural reviews, etc)
- Work with development teams, product managers, product owners, and others to maintain high levels of transparency, efficiency, collaboration and set context with the team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business and engineering informed decisions
- Continually find ways to improve processes and efficiencies through technology and automation
- Ownership of teams results, building on the good and taking corrective action on the bad
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing development teams
- Experience managing an agile engineering team that has been responsible for multiple products in an environment they are either shipped to end users or hosted as single Web/SaaS application (huge plus if you’d lead a team that delivered both)
- A cross-team facilitator: working with other teams and figuring out how to get things running more smoothly
- Knowledgeable about open source software
- High level of organization with a proven ability to prioritize, manage, budget, and deliver on time
- Excellent English communication skills both verbally and written
- Experience in project management with the ability to decompose complicated projects into simple tasks, estimates and manage risks
- Self directed with the ability to operate independently without needing everyday input
- Maturity to build relationships and operate across the organization (not locked to only operate in the vertical chain)
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Budget management experience preferred
- Open Source Software development experience preferred
- Product company background preferred to show a track record of GA product release
Location: Remote work from home anywhere however a large portion of the broader team is located in Eastern Europe
Remote work from home openings require consistent and strong internet access.
HQ is in Durham, NC USA. Staff members should be available if there is a need for any onsite trainings and/or events at any time.
Note that your legal agreement will be with Percona Staffing LLC, a USA corporation and a subsidiary of Percona LLC.