Backend Software Engineer
Remote, EMEA /
ENGINEERING – Eng-Platform /
Percona is a respected thought leader in the open source community. We provide services and software for MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Maria DB to open source users globally.
Percona is remote-first and globally dispersed; we have 250 people in almost 40 countries. We offer a collaborative, highly-engaged culture where your ideas are welcome and your voice is heard. The growth and development of our staff is a top priority; we provide funding for training, certifications, conferences and more.
Discover what it means to work with some of the smartest people in the industry, who also know how to have fun and are always willing to lend a helping hand. We offer flexible hours, the ability to work remotely and the amazing experience of working with a multinational team of experts.
We’re looking for a full-time Backend Software Engineer with extensive development experience to join our team and help continue building Percona Monitoring and Management (PMM). While you’ll predominantly be responsible for enabling all new functionality in our client/server product, ambitious and talented full-stack developers are welcome to apply too as there’s plenty of UI work to do as well. This is an amazing opportunity to build something from the ground up and integrate our existing Client <--> Server products with Cloud to deliver a new wave of services and functionality to our users. The work is challenging, but that’s why it’s also fun and rewarding! Plus, our team is small, so you and your work will have a large impact.
What You Will Do
- Brainstorm with designers, architects and product managers to build and tweak functionality
- Participate in code and design reviews, teaching and learning from other engineers
- Identify and uphold engineering best practices
- Develop scalable, high-volume, performant applications focused on simplicity and user delight
- Produce high-quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed and checked in regularly for continuous integration
- Identify, leverage, and successfully evangelize opportunities to improve engineering productivity
- 2+ years programming in Go (preferred), Java, Python with excellent programming fundamentals
- Test-driven and zealous about testing
- Experience with MongoDB, MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Comfortable with Linux (basic usage as a programmer)
- Excellent English written and verbal language skills
- Ability to work with others we sell as independently in a fully remote environment
- Deep experience with distributed SaaS applications
- Development experience on cloud computing platform (AWS, Azure, or OpenShift)
- Familiarity with version control systems (Git)
- Experience designing, building, and documenting APIs
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Knowledge of other databases/data stores (memcached, clickhouse)
- Deep knowledge security and encryption techniques for transmitting and storing sensitive data
- Experience with continuous deployment to cloud / virtualized environments (“DevOps”)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with Prometheus
- College degree
- Experience writing and maintaining unit tests
Remote work from home specifically from the Eastern European region.