Research Associate I, Quality Control Biochemist
Berkeley, CA /
It's a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
As the newest member of the Bioanalytical-QC team you will help contribute to a cross-functional team in a fast paced, collaborative environment. This new team member will prepare samples, run robust assays, and report precise and accurate data out to all R&D and manufacturing teams. The assays include protein concentration (colorimetric, spectroscopic, UHPLC), protein powder mass balance analysis, SDS-PAGE, native PAGE, and enzymatic assays, just to name a few. A successful candidate will have prior analytical or bioanalytical experience and will be meticulous in their laboratory and documentation practices.
- Prepare samples, maintain, and report data for protein biochemistry assays such as SDS-PAGE and 96 well plate colorimetric assays.
- Perform in-process testing of fermentation-derived dairy proteins using UHPLCs and GC-MS.
- Maintain instruments at optimum performance through routine maintenance and QA/QC procedure.
- Data analysis, statistical analysis, and data reporting.
- Work in a team, being proactive in your work, seeking opportunities to build your understanding, and contributing to a collegial environment.
- Maintain timely and thorough documentation of work.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
- Work on a scheduled Sunday rotation (3-4 hours every 2 weeks) based on the needs of the lab.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- B.S. in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with 2+ years of analytical chemistry or protein biochemistry related experience.
- Previous hands on experience in running bioanalytical assays like SDS-PAGE, UV-Vis, 96 well plate assays.
- Candidate must possess a high level of technical aptitude, excellent communication, organization, and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to troubleshoot, and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Highly productive, attention to detail, ability to manage own time and prioritize tasks independently to meet timelines.
- Strong desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams, learn new skills and proactively solve problems.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Experience working with Agilent UHPLC and GC-MS systems is desirable.
- Experience with Python, R, or other programming language is desirable.
- Experience with JMP or other statistical software is desirable.
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods.
It's a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!