Senior Process Engineer
LOCATION: Berkeley, CA
POSITION: Full time, exempt
REQUIRED EDUCATION: B.S. or higher in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline.
AREA(S) OF EXPERTISE DESIRED: Fermentation and downstream purification technology; direct experience with process equipment scale-up and process design, characterization, implementation and optimization.
Perfect Day is working to commercialize its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Process Engineer capable of managing a broad range of project activities to successfully scale the production process from the laboratory through pilot plant into commercial facilities. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the Process Development staff, Commercialization team and contract manufacturing partners to deliver an efficient, cost effective technology package for scale up through to product commercialization. Support manufacturing technology transfer to guarantee accuracy, conformity and competitiveness of the process and techniques utilized in a microbial fermentation-based process.
- Provide input and analysis to process design, establish scale-up/scale-down parameters using engineering fundamentals (mixing, mass transfer, heat transfer, modelling, etc.) and cooperatively work with the teams to develop and optimize process control strategies for fermentation and downstream purification.
- Deliver the process technology transfer package and evaluate compatibility of contract manufacturing facilities with the process requirements. This will include the development of the process design basis, including the sizing, selection and/or retrofit of equipment, mass balance and instrument control.
- Partner with contract manufacturers to ensure industrial implementation of process design, including review of design documents and participation in pilot testing. In addition, the position will provide technical assistance to Process Development and Manufacturing Operations for process troubleshooting to achieve target metrics in fermentation and downstream purification for food grade products.
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related discipline with a minimum of 10 years direct experience in fermentation and downstream purification technology, process design and scale-up.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills; able to work in cross-functional teams, provide strong analytic and process design skills, root cause analysis, training and general communication.
- Deep technical acumen and expertise in developing fermentation, recovery, purification, and/or spray drying processes that reproduce bench scale results at the pilot plant and manufacturing scales.
- Substantial experience with equipment design, implementation and validation of typical biotechnology unit operations, and success working at contract manufacturing sites or in plant operations is expected.
- Proficient in structured methodologies used in industrial process design and control.
- Project management training and process modeling software experience are expected.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Significant travel will be required.
- Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.