Scientist I/II/III, Protein Biochemist
Berkeley, CA /
It's a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
As the newest member of the Bio-Analytics team you will develop robust bioanalytical methods and techniques to support R&D and manufacturing efforts. The Bio-Analytical team is a fast-paced and multidiscipline team, and we need motivated and proactive scientists to develop robust bioanalytical methods and investigate new protein biophysical techniques. If you enjoy working on diverse problems with interesting proteins in a collaborative team, this is the role for you! A successful candidate will have prior industry experience working in teams to bring in new techniques and build robust methods to interrogate protein quality/structure, enzymatic activity, and more. An ideal candidate will also have prior management and leadership experience.
- Assay development and optimization of various protein biophysical techniques including, but not limited to, DLS, zeta potential, DSC, and CD.
- Assay development and optimization of various protein biochemistry techniques including, but not limited to, 96 well plate assays, enzyme kinetics, post-translational modification characterization, and various PAGE techniques including native PAGE and 2D PAGE.
- Data and statistical analysis, reporting, and communicating results to a group of interdisciplinary and curious scientists.
- Work in a team, being proactive in your work, seeking opportunities to build your understanding, and contributing to a gift economy culture.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail in both laboratory techniques and documentation.
- Opportunity to manage research assistants and scientists depending on prior experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or related field with 4+ years post-graduate experience in a related field. Level will depend upon experience.
- Candidate must possess a high level of technical aptitude, excellent communication, organization, and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to innovate, troubleshoot, and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Experience with protein biochemistry and biophysical techniques including DLS, zeta potential, DSC, CD, colorimetric assays, enzyme kinetics, and various PAGE techniques (eg native PAGE, 2D page, etc)
- Ability to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Maintain a high degree of accuracy and meticulous attention to detail.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Prior experience in management and leadership highly desired.
- Experience with automation, database input, query, and extraction are desirable.
- Experience with JMP, Python, R, or other programming language is desirable.
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
It's a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!