Fermentation Technologist (RA II)
LOCATION: Berkeley, CA
POSITION: Full time, exempt
REQUIRED EDUCATION: B.S. or higher in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline.
AREA(S) OF EXPERTISE DESIRED: Fermentation technology, experimental design and data analysis; aseptic operation, monitoring and control of lab and pilot scale bioreactors.
DESCRIPTION: Perfect Day is close to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products and we are seeking an intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic Research Associate II to join our Fermentation Process Development team. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to make a contribution to a small team in a fast paced, startup environment.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES: This individual will join a cross-functional team developing efficient and economic fermentation processes utilizing microbial strains for the commercial production of animal-free dairy proteins for food and nutrition applications.
The Successful Candidate will help develop and implement procedures to increase fermentation reproducibility and throughput, install and commission new equipment and participate in the transfer of improved fermentation technology to manufacture scale.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES Activities include:
- Design, planning and execution of lab scale fermentation experiments
- Fermenter preparation, sterilization and turnaround; aseptic sample collection and processing
- Monitoring, troubleshooting and maintenance of fermentors and associated equipment
- Data acquisition and analysis; communication of experimental results
- Harvest, treatment and processing of broth for downstream process development
- B.S. in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline with 2+ years of fermentation-related experience in an entrepreneurial setting.
- Candidate must possess a high level of mechanical aptitude, excellent communication, organization and collaborative skills, and demonstrated ability to innovate, troubleshoot complex systems and thrive in a dynamic cross-functional team environment.
- Candidate must be flexible, adaptable, available to work on weekends or after normal business hours as needed.
- Familiarity with Eppendorf (New Brunswick and DasGip) fermentation equipment and control systems is a plus.
Position requires the ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and consistently lift up to 50 lbs.
Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.