Senior Process Engineer
LOCATION: Berkeley, CA
POSITION: Full time, exempt
REQUIRED EDUCATION: BS/MS/PhD in Chemical/ Biochemical Engineering,
AREA(S) OF EXPERTISE DESIRED: Process engineering and scale up expertise in microbial fermentation and downstream purification processes, for commercial manufacturing.
Perfect Day is working to commercializing its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Process Engineer to lead and manage a broad range of research and development activities to successfully develop, optimize and scale the production process from the laboratory through pilot plant into commercial facilities. The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to contribute to a small team in a fast paced, collaborative start-up environment.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams addressing critical issues in fermentation, recovery and protein purification. Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in both upstream and downstream process development.
- Responsible to deliver on product purity and yield targets for toxicology testing, customer samples and commercial production in association with process development team
- Lead, design and execute optimization experiments and related projects in conjunction with other staff to deliver anefficient, cost effective technology package for scale up through to product commercialization.
- Identify, develop and implement novel upstream and downstream technologies required to meet project objectives with respect to rate, titer, yield and purity.
- Develop and mentor team members to maximize their contribution and meet corporate objectives.
- Build and lead project team responsible for executing successful technology transfer and scale-up of fermentation and recovery processes to contract development and manufacturing partners.
- Lead perfect day’s ongoing and new capital projects at manufacturing partners
- BS in Chemical or Biochemical engineering with minimum 10 years’ experience or MS or PhD in with a minimum of 8 years direct experience in scaling up fermentation and downstream purification technology
- Deep technical acumen and expertise in implementation and optimization of fermentation, recovery, protein purification, and spray drying processes that reproduce bench scale results at the pilot plant and manufacturing scales.
- Must have prior experience in leading capital projects that involve fermentation processes
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing multidisciplinary teams to successfully and effectively meet the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience managing external relationships with strategic partners and commercial-scale contract manufacturers.
- Self-starter with good organizational skills; able to work effectively in cross-functional teams, provide strong analytic and process design skills, root cause analysis, training and general communication.
- Project management training is an advantage.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs.
- Some travel will be required.
· Position located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.