Director of Lipid Chemistry
Emeryville, CA /
Research & Development /
It's a Perfect Day to change the world! At Perfect Day, we're doing just that.
Perfect Day was founded in 2014 to create delicious, nutritious dairy products that everyone can love. We’re using fermentation (not animals) to make dairy proteins that are the foundation for foods like ice cream, cheese and yogurt – all with the distinctive taste and textures that consumers demand, but without lactose or environmental downsides. Through partnerships with respected brands, we’re working to launch a whole range of dairy products that will help shape a humane, sustainable food system for future generations.
We’re seeking a Director of Chemistry to lead our lipid/fat R&D team. The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter who can work both collaboratively and independently to execute new ideas and projects, thrives in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and has a passion for sustainable, cruelty-free food. This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Oversee and manage multiple existing global partnerships that are focused on critical aspects of lipid chemistry, fermentation, and utilization
- Build and manage an internal chemistry program with a focus on lipid chemistry
- Work with the executive team to align strategic goals for the company with market expectations and technical discovery.
- Process development, scale-up and research in methods and applications in lipids/fats.
- Search patent and academic literature to improve internal testing methodologies and inform decisions.
- Work with the IP strategy team to support existing patent strategy and to integrate new discoveries on a real time basis.
- Identify and foster relationships with outside technology teams in industry and academia to achieve goals of the overall project
- Report updates and strategic learning to executive leadership on a frequent to quarterly basis.
- Showing commitment to understanding and fostering the Perfect Day values and culture across all the relevant teams and direct reports
- Advising the executive team about the vision for the lipid chemistry program, making recommendations, and building the teams to execute accordingly.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS). PhD in Chemistry or a related field is preferred. Extensive Chemistry training is a must.
- At least 5 years professional experience. Industrial experience is a must. Experience leading chemists and managing teams remotely is preferred.
- Strong track record of success in chemistry. Experience in Lipid/Fat Chemistry is ideal. Experience with polymer chemistry is a plus.
- Separations experience with polymers and lipids.
- Analytics experience with polymers and lipids.
- Experience with fermentation sciences is a plus
- Have an end-to-end understanding of Project Management.
- Ability to deliver multiple complex projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail.
- Executive level interpersonal, project management, writing, communication and problem-solving skills. Prior experience reporting to Senior Management and/or a Board of Directors is a plus.
- Prior success handling / executing multiple high impact, fast paced/collaborative projects.
- An outstanding problem solver who is solution-oriented and has a genuine interest in helping.
- Comfortable with operating in a fast-paced environment and dealing with ambiguity. Proactive and resourceful.
- Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills and ability to form effective partnerships with cross-functional, sometimes remote teams.
- Experience working with recruiters and leveraging networks to identify and hire highly talented individuals and build successful teams locally and a abroad.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time.
It's a Perfect Day to change the world. The day when delicious dairy goodness is something everyone can love. The day we say goodbye to the downsides of factory farming. The day we throw a big party with luscious, animal-free milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream, all made with Perfect Day! We hope you join us!