Senior Fermentation Process Development Scientist
LOCATION: Berkeley, CA
POSITION: Full time, exempt
REQUIRED EDUCATION: MS/PhD in Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology, or related discipline.
AREA(S) OF EXPERTISE DESIRED: Managing the development of microbial fermentation processes, technology transfer, and scale-up to commercial manufacturing.
Perfect Day is working to commercialize its first animal-free dairy protein products. We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Fermentation Process Development Scientist to lead and manage a broad range of research and development activities to successfully develop, optimize and scale the fermentation process from the laboratory through pilot plant into commercial facilities. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and be driven to do what it takes to contribute to a small cross-functional team in a fast paced, collaborative, start-up environmen
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams addressing critical issues in fermentation. Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in upstream process development and related technologies.
- Lead, design and execute optimization experiments and related projects in conjunction with other staff to deliver anefficient, cost effective technology package for scale up through to product commercialization.
- Identify, develop and implement novel upstream technologies required to meet project objectives with respect to protein production rate, titer, yield and purity, and to deliver material for toxicology testing, customer samples and commercial production.
- Develop and mentor team members to maximize their contribution and meet corporate objectives.
- Participate in project team responsible for executing successful technology transfer and scale-up of fermentation and recovery processes to contract development and manufacturing partners
- MS/PhD in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering or related discipline with a minimum of 10 years direct experience in fermentation technology, process development and scale-up.
- Self-starter with strong organizational, analysis, process design, training and general communication skills.
- Deep technical acumen and expertise in development, implementation and optimization of fermentation processes that reproduce bench scale results at the pilot plant and manufacturing scales. Experience cultivating filamentous fungi is highly desired.
- Knowledge of commercial scale fermentor design and downstream processing operations are a plus.
- Proficient in leading and contributing effectively in multidisciplinary teams to successfully meet the expectations of internal and external stakeholders. Experience managing external relationships with strategic partners is a plus.
- Project management training is an advantage.
- Ability to stand or sit for prolonged periods, climb, kneel, bend, and at times lift objects as heavy as 50 lbs.
- Some travel will be required.
- Position is located in a mix of typical laboratory, workshop and kitchen environments, and requires a tolerance for high worker traffic, close quarters, noise, odors, dust, transiently wet and dirty floors, and varying room temperatures and lighting.