Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
NYC or Remote
The Petal mission
At Petal, we’re using fresh thinking and cutting-edge technology to make credit honest, simple and accessible. We use machine learning to analyze more data in our credit decisions, which means more people qualify, even if they’ve never had credit before. And we use behavioral science and smart, intuitive design to offer a simple, customer-centric product that’s engineered to achieve better financial outcomes -- with straightforward terms and no fees whatsoever. The result is an exciting new approach to credit that has the potential to radically expand credit access and improve the lives of millions of consumers, shaking up a trillion dollar industry in the process.
To do this, we’re bringing together exceptional talent from across disciplines and industries to shape the future of financial services and improve the lives of our customers in a meaningful way.
As a full-stack software engineer, you adapt gracefully to the rapidly shifting needs of customers and the business to ship a constantly improving product. Your work will span across the core product stack—iOS, Android, and web powered by React and React Native, with Python services making up the backend). You'll be tasked with considering all angles of a new piece of functionality, from the from the UX design, system architecture, and coding standards that increase reliability and velocity.
- Own solutions from end to end, managing complexity and engaging directly with stakeholders to think through everything from data model scaling to the UX perfection of individual workflows
- Contribute modular, well-tested code to create delightful user interfaces and resilient systems. We work mostly with Python, TypeScript (React/React Native/Redux), and AWS infrastructure
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization such as experts in product, design, infrastructure, and operations
You may be good fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being a generalist working on both the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Can stitch together many different services and processes even if you have not worked with them before
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
- Uphold best practices in engineering, security, and design