(Senior) Product Manager, Financial Systems
NYC or Remote /
The Petal mission
Petal’s mission is to expand access to opportunity by making responsible, modern financial services available to everyone. Founded in 2016, Petal provides technology-enabled credit cards to consumers who are historically underserved by mainstream providers.
Petal pioneered automated cash flow underwriting, a transformative new approach to assessing consumer creditworthiness with the potential to expand access to tens of millions of U.S. consumers without credit history, or for whom traditional credit scores do not tell the whole story. Petal pairs this groundbreaking, data-driven underwriting technology with a mobile-first, digitally native product experience designed to help users manage and build credit responsibly. For Petal, it’s a mission as much as it is a business—with a goal to reimagine finance for the next generation of consumers.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
To support our rapidly growing credit card member base, Petal uses increasingly complex funding strategies across a range of 3rd parties. In collaboration with our Capital Markets team, Engineering, Analytics and others this Product Manager sets the roadmap priorities and design specifications for the technology systems that enable those relationships. These systems ingest data, run calculations, verify results and integrate with 3rd parties to enable the flow of funds.
This role also ensures that our systems provide timely and accurate financial reporting for the business. Data and calculations must flow through with accuracy and timeliness.
As a member of a team that is still growing within Petal, you will have the opportunity to help shape the Financial Systems team’s identity and footprint.
The ideal candidate possesses strong technical and data analysis skills, familiarity and interest in the finance industry, is comfortable working on high stakes projects under tight deadlines, works well cross-functionally, has a sharp eye for details, proactively owns and solves problems, and is always excited to learn.
- Define the long-term vision and strategy for Financial Systems at Petal. Develop and maintain a product roadmap with the highest impact initiatives.
- Collaborate with Capital Markets, Analytics, FP&A and application Engineering teams to identify areas for improvements.
- Align with the product development team and stakeholders across the company to prioritize the most important opportunities and share the team’s long-term vision and strategy.
- Work alongside a top-notch Engineering team to drive and execute the highest priority initiatives. Keep the project moving forward on the right path. See around corners to identify potential problems early and address them quickly.
- Focus on results. Define metrics to measure the impact of initiatives. Analyze outcomes post-launch to identify how the changes perform compared to expectations. Celebrate the wins and learn from the misses to drive further iteration.
- Interact with 3rd party technology and financial partners to advocate for Petal’s needs.
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- 2-4 years of Product Management experience (or 5+ years for Sr PM). You’ve launched many software development projects of increasing complexity and learned from each of them. You have a deep understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery.
- Experience solving difficult problems with many constraints. You gather expert input, analyze risks, make good decisions and communicate your thinking clearly.
- Excellent collaboration skills. You foster an environment where your peers feel comfortable sharing information freely and working jointly on solutions. Your clear articulation of the needed context helps team members see how their work fits into the bigger picture. Seek out others input, listen closely to stakeholders and draw out key points.
- Strong data technology skills. You are very familiar with database systems and querying languages. Proficient in SQL
- Strong financial fluency. You understand and have worked on financial products – even if they aren’t revolving credit lines such as in credit cards. You have experience with the calculations and business requirements involved in financial products.
- Strong technical fluency. You are comfortable with technical conversations around data, 3rd party integrations and technical architectures. You serve as a thought partner to engineering around technical tradeoffs.
- BA/BS or greater – ideally in a financial or technical field
- Strong interest in the Petal mission and culture!
Petal is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion. We’re proud to be different, together.
For our California employment information privacy statement, please click here.