Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
NYC or Remote (US Only) /
The Petal mission
Petal’s mission is to bring financial opportunity and innovation to everyone.
We're pioneering a new approach to credit, by analyzing an applicant’s banking history, in addition to credit history, to determine their creditworthiness. We call this technology a Cash Score — and it takes into account income, spending, and savings. It’s currently helping thousands of people qualify for credit at better rates, even if they’ve never had it before.
We bring the same ingenuity to our credit card products. Our simple and intuitive app gives members access to credit score tracking, budgeting tools, subscription management, and automated payment options—everything they need to make financial progress.
Now more than ever, Americans need help improving their credit safely, responsibly, and affordably. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, apply now, and let’s change this trillion-dollar industry together.
At Petal, we're looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions.
This particular role is an opportunity to join a team who cares deeply about product experience and code quality. Our app must function reliably and delightfully at all times in order for Petal to deliver on its promise of simple, accessible credit. We aim to outshine other financial apps with a central view into a customer's money and the credit industry's most transparent, customer-centric payment experience.
In this role, about 50% of your time will be spent in our frontend—a tri-platform React Native app written in TypeScript—and 50% on our Flask/Python applications. This role reports to our Director of Engineering.
- Write high-quality, well-tested, functional, observable code that runs smoothly in production.
- Up-level our React Native app, delivering reliable, delightful features that our customers need.
- Elevate the coding standards and hygiene across the team.
- Lead complex projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, consistently delivering on time.
- Work with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g. credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
- Teach across the broader engineering organization to improve best practices and influence system design
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Track record of shipping high-quality, complex React apps to end-users. A deep understanding of React/React Native/Redux libraries and ecosystem (sagas, selectors, reducers) is essential for this role. We use Expo to build our apps, which are written in Typescript, so a familiarity with that toolchain is very helpful. You yearn for cleaner code using functional components and React hooks.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Product-oriented. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Adaptable. As stated above, this role is mostly frontend-focused; that said, successful engineers here roll up their sleeves to dive into their dependencies when planning projects, debugging issues, and implementing features end-to-end. So, becoming productive in our API layer (RESTful Flask apps with Postgres databases) is important.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare
These are all "nice-to-haves" --- we don't expect every candidate to hit every mark. Many of our engineers come from different backgrounds and career paths. We're committed to teaching anything you might need to learn on the job.
For our California employment information privacy statement, please click here.