Queer Community Engagement Director
South Bend, Indiana
Pete for America is run by a small, well-organized, and motivated team, backed by volunteers and supporters across the country. We're searching for hard-working and kind people to join us. We are committed to radical transparency and fairness, and are steadfast in our work to share Pete's vision with the country. We don't stand for harassment or discrimination of any kind.
Mayor Pete is a different type of politician, and we are a different kind of team. Our goals require collaboration across all departments and our structure facilitates that. A team player with a collaborative spirit and positive attitude will be well suited to our work culture.
Pete for America is building out an ambitious constituency team, and we are looking for a Queer Community Engagement Director! The ideal candidate cares deeply about the progress of queer people and people of marginalized genders in every corner of the country, seeks to engage as many people as possible. They reject transactional interactions, while affirming symbiotic relationships that unlock cultural connection and appreciation.
The position is located in South Bend and will report to the National Constituency Director. Applicants should have 1-2 cycles of campaign, campaign committee, or political experience. Women, LGBTQ folks, and disabled people are strongly encouraged to apply!
You might be a good fit if you:
- Truly value a diversity of experiences and voices, you know it positively impacts outcomes, and you can point to times you've demonstrated this personally and professionally.
- Love building relationships across different groups and reveres the power of organizing -- both online and off.
- Engage in active listening, even when you’re hearing criticism and critiques you can’t address in one sentence
- Feel joy when you see a well organized spreadsheet.
- Know that in order to scale our movement effectively and efficiently, we must use social media and digital tools to organize people and events.
- Obsess over performance and find joy in motivating others
- Respect the power of what a person with a clipboard can do, and also what the power of an optimized user-experience online can do.
- Think house parties are the best parties, and loving every bit of the process: from identifying hosts online and offline: training hosts through web-conferences; providing them PDF resource packets; helping them recruit for attendees through our online audiences; and collecting photos, videos, and stories from the events themselves.
- Enjoy thinking about holistic programs and how to keep groups motivated and engaged over long periods of time
- Question how things have been done that exclude queer folks and people of marginalized genders from the civic and political space, while being ready to identify new solutions to those answers
Pete for America is an equal opportunity employer. We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment free from unlawful discrimination as is consistent with our commitment to diversity, respect, and inclusion.
Pete for America provides all employees and applicants with equal opportunity in all aspects of the employment relationship.