Senior Data Architect
Remote (North America, Europe) /
Engineering – Infrastructure /
Here at Pex, we are a fully remote team that has built the largest audio-visual search engine in the world that allows creators, musicians, and rightsholders to understand the usage of their content and help them earn more while also exposing their content to wider audiences. Basically, we’re about data. A lot of data.
Our newest product, Attribution Engine, is currently in development and will contain billions of rows of metadata on media assets from thousands of rightsholders, licenses, playback statistics from participating platforms, and disputes. As a large portion of this data will be collected from external organisations, making sure it’s consistent is going to be the key, and since our systems work with tremendous amounts of data in real time, it is imperative to store them in a way that can support such real-time processing while also ensuring that the same data is available for internal and customer-facing reporting.
To satisfy all these needs, we need to build high-performance data pipelines, consolidate, cleanse, and validate the incoming data, merge that with what we already have stored in our databases, and make it available to all processes that need them.
If you have a passion for data architecture and designing pipelines and databases that deal with billions of lines of data from different data sources and if you have experience supporting both operational and analytical use-cases on top of that, this is the opportunity for you!
- Understand Pex’s business goals and how they translate into processes involving data
- Develop strategy for each identified process in terms of ingesting, storing, updating, and making the data available to other processes for operational purposes
- Consolidate data into a form which will enable cross-process, company-wide analytics of all the collected data
- Consolidate data for application-level reporting for Pex’s customers
- Put processes in place for deduplication, cleansing and consistency checks
- Cooperate tightly with Data Engineers and design best practices for manipulating data at Pex
- Grow the team (skill-wise)
- Have an analytical approach
- Understand design tradeoffs like performance vs. size and have excellent data modelling skills
- Know how to optimise (eg., how to do fast, incremental updates on datasets over billions of lines on a distributed database)
- Understand the differences between supporting operational processes vs. analytical processes
- Are experienced with designing data pipelines
- Have excellent SQL knowledge and are knowledgeable about the different kinds of database engines and their tradeoffs (row vs. columnar, SQL vs. NoSQL, etc.)
- Stay up to date with industry trends, databases, tools, concepts, etc.
- Have experience as a technical lead or mentor - if engineers working with you have a problem with a related piece of technology, you can show them what the best approach is and help them implement, if necessary
- Have solid written and verbal communication skills
Perks and Benefits:
- A fully remote working environment
- A supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance
- Salary & equity, with perks like a 10-year exercise window
- Competitive health insurance (99% employee and 70% dependent premium coverage)
- Generous paid parental leave
- Day off on your birthday
- 30 days of paid time off + 9 paid holidays
- Salary: $140,000 - $162,000
Pex is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.