What We Do
Picwell is committed to empowering ordinary Americans to make good health insurance choices for themselves and their families. The sheer complexity of health insurance leads many people to essentially choose at random. This results in unnecessarily high costs for consumers and billions of dollars of waste in the healthcare system.
We use predictive analytics in combination with healthcare and behavioral economics research to reduce the choice complexity. A user's plan options are distilled down to personalized scores, which incorporate many nuances beyond pure cost, including the user's risk tolerance and preferred physicians. Picwell allows users to purchase a health plan that covers what they need, at a reasonable cost, with minimal stress.
As a software engineer at Picwell, your primary responsibility will be to build, maintain, and scale our health insurance recommendation APIs and underlying web service infrastructure. Currently, that infrastructure supports two product lines, to which you will contribute new features and improvements. Additionally, you will refine our platform architecture to scale out to new clients and support new products down the road. Depending on your interest and expertise, you may help to build out new product and service teams as the company grows. At Picwell, we believe that we do our best work by operating in an integrated fashion. You will, however, still enjoy significant autonomy and ownership over your work.
- coordinate with product managers to define and prioritize work
- work with healthcare/economics specialists to specify complex business logic
- collaborate with data engineers to improve our sophisticated cost-simulators
- work with data scientists to build predictive models for production usage
- engage in technical mentorship of your peers and junior techies
- contribute to the iterative improvement of development processes
- you've written, deployed and maintained data-driven software in production environments
- you have experience with backend web and/or API development, using a number of the tools in our stack
- you've used version control to write software with other contributors
- you aim to write readable, well abstracted, testable code
- you have strong communication skills and strive to be a thoughtful and empathetic colleague
- you enjoy writing software in a collaborative team environment (e.g. code review, pair programming)
- you’ve worked on applications with complex domain logic and a distributed architecture
- you want to work in dynamic environment, where you are continually learning and growing
- you'd be excited to develop technological solutions to societal problems
- you've worked with remote teams, or would like to
You would be a great fit if some of the following also describe you:
If you think you might be at least a 70% match, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- web services built with Python and Flask
- version control using git and GitHub
- application data storage with MySQL, Redis, LMDB
- analysis of large data sets in Amazon Redshift, S3
- infrastructure hosted in AWS
- data pipeline built with Pandas, PySpark, Luigi and Jenkins
- configuration management with Chef
- tests written with pytest, mock
These are the technologies that we currently use, not all of which will necessarily be central to the role. If you’re already familiar with them, awesome! If not, you’ll pick them up on the job.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive compensation, with stock options
- 17 days of paid time off, and 8 company holidays
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting (many Picwellians work from home about once per week)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (including HSA options)
- 401(k) retirement account
- Breakfast bagels, office snacks and monthly team lunches
- Top of the line Apple laptops and accessory budget
- Annual company-wide "Hack Week"
- Conference / training seminar stipend
- Slack for team communication
- Use your tech skills to improve the lives of millions of people
Right now, we are only able to consider applicants with US work authorization not requiring visa sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, cis/transgender status, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our main office is located in Center City Philadelphia, PA close to multiple commuter lines.