As a software engineer at Picwell, you will craft and maintain our API to curate personalized health insurance recommendations. The healthcare space is richly complex, and as a software engineer at Picwell, you will develop a deep understanding of the health insurance domain and implement creative solutions to the myriad of challenges it offers. You will build upon your experience developing enterprise software to design scalable architectures with dedication to consistent design patterns. You will collaborate closely with the data science team to optimize Picwell’s predictive modeling for existing and future clients. In addition, you will champion initiatives to expand Picwell’s product offerings. You will work in an agile team, coordinating with product owners, pair programming with other engineers, performing thoughtful code reviews, and mentoring junior team members.
- Coordinate with product managers to define and prioritize work.
- Work with healthcare/economics specialists to specify complex business logic.
- Collaborate with data engineers to improve our sophisticated cost-simulators.
- Work with data scientists to build predictive models for production usage.
- Engage in technical mentorship of your peers and junior team members.
- Contribute to the iterative improvement of development processes.
- Experience with OO languages like Python, Java, or Ruby.
- Python, Flask, Spark, ReactJS, Docker and AWS serverless Technologies like DynamoDB are a plus!
- Experience writing, deploying and maintaining data-driven software in production environments.
- Experience with backend web and/or API development, using a number of the tools in our stack.
- Practical use of version control to write software with other contributors.
- Demonstrated ability to write readable, well abstracted, and testable code.
- Strong communication skills and strive to be a thoughtful and conscientious colleague.
- You enjoy writing software in a collaborative team environment (e.g. code review, pair programming).
- You have worked on applications with complex domain logic or a distributed architecture environment.
- You like to work in a dynamic environment where you are continuously learning and growing.
- You get excited to develop technological solutions to societal problems.
- You are comfortable working with remote team members.
- Web services built with Python & Flask, as well as AWS Serverless components.
- Version control using git and GitHub.
- Application data storage with MySQL, PostgresQL, Redis, LMDB, DynamoDB.
- Analysis of large data sets in Amazon Redshift, S3.
- Infrastructure hosted in AWS.
- Data pipelines built with Pandas, PySpark, Luigi and Jenkins.
- Configuration management with Chef.
- Tests written with pytest using mocks.
These are the technologies that we currently use; not all of which will be necessarily central to the role. If you’re already familiar with them, awesome! If not, you will be able to pick them up on the job.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive compensation, with annual bonus and stock options
- 17 days of paid time off plus 8 company holidays
- Flexible schedules and the ability to work remote when needed
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (including HSA options)
- 401(k) retirement account
- Conference, training and seminar budget
- Annual company-wide "Hack Week"
- Slack for team communication
What We Do
Picwell is committed to empowering ordinary Americans to make good health insurance choices for themselves and their families. The sheer complexity of health insurance leads many people to essentially choose at random. This results in unnecessarily high costs for consumers and billions of dollars of waste in the healthcare system. We use predictive analytics in combination with healthcare and behavioral economics research to reduce the choice complexity. A user's plan options are distilled down to personalized scores, which incorporate many nuances beyond pure cost, including the user's risk tolerance and preferred physicians. Picwell allows users to purchase a health plan that covers what they need, at a reasonable cost, with minimal stress.
Right now, we are only able to consider applicants with US work authorization not requiring visa sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, cis/transgender status, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status. Our main office is located in Center City Philadelphia, PA close to multiple commuter lines.