What We Do
Picwell is committed to empowering ordinary Americans to make good health insurance choices for themselves and their families. The sheer complexity of health insurance leads many people to essentially choose at random. This results in unnecessarily high costs for consumers and billions of dollars of waste in the healthcare system.
We use predictive analytics in combination with healthcare and behavioral economics research to reduce the choice complexity. A user's plan options are distilled down to personalized scores, which incorporate many nuances beyond pure cost, including the user's risk tolerance and preferred physicians. Picwell allows users to purchase a health plan that covers what they need, at a reasonable cost, with minimal stress.
We are looking for a capable data scientist to join our team. You will work closely with other data scientists, economists, and software engineers—in a results-oriented, collaborative environment—to refine our health insurance recommendation engine and demonstrate the value of Picwell's products to the marketplace. This role is suitable for someone who is collaborative, curious, and comfortable with data analysis and problem solving.
We are looking for applicants with a strong background in data analysis, empirical methods, and machine learning, as well as significant experience in writing well-structured and performant code. Candidates should have prior work or research experience using Python, R, or another high-level language to conduct empirical analyses on large data sets. Prior work experience or research related to health insurance or health care or familiarity with economics and health policy would be a plus.
At Picwell, we value professional growth and we seek the kinds of people who love to learn new things. As a member of the data science team, you would have the opportunity to hone your analytic capabilities both by contributing to our core analytics work and by participating in hack weeks and monthly seminars.
- Coursework in quantitative fields (e.g., math, statistics, physics, computer science)
- Experience using applied statistics in a work or research setting, with experience in data visualization
- Demonstrated ability to independently conceive of and execute empirical analyses
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment
- Familiarity with machine learning algorithms and testing approaches
- 1+ years experience with Python
- Work or research experience related to health care or health insurance
- Familiarity with health policy and economics
- Experience with big data tools such as Apache Spark
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive compensation, with stock options
- 17 days of paid time off, and 8 company holidays
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting (many Picwellians work from home about once per week)
- Health, vision, and dental insurance (including HSA options)
- 401(k) retirement account
- Breakfast bagels, office snacks and monthly team lunches
- Top of the line Apple laptops and accessory budget
- Annual company-wide "Hack Week"
- Conference / training seminar stipend
- Slack for team communication
- Use your tech skills to improve the lives of millions of people
Right now, we are only able to consider applicants with US work authorization not requiring visa sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, cis/transgender status, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our main office is located in Center City Philadelphia, PA close to multiple commuter lines.