Division Controller - Insurance
Washington, DC /
Accounting & Finance /
We are an insurtech company where smart people can see the impact of their work as we tackle meaningful problems together. We think it’s fun to disrupt an industry that has been slow to change. But we aren’t shaking things up for the sake of change, we’re here to solve big problems using technology and an innovative approach to improve how small business owners access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs, so at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. We hire passionate people who like to work hard, yet we also know that life exists outside the office. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
Pie is currently a Managing General Agency (MGA), but we are launching a risk-bearing insurance company subsidiary which will eventually become responsible for issuing all of Pie's insurance policies. As Division Controller - Insurance, you will be responsible for building and managing the statutory and GAAP accounting and reporting functions for this new entity as well as for related insurance premium and loss reporting for our reinsurance partners. You will work alongside our corporate accounting and finance teams and become a trusted partner, assisting in the implementation of new financial systems, processes, and procedures. This role is critical to the success of our insurance industry growth, and we want you along for the ride.
How You’ll Do It
We’re looking for a person to bring their insurance specific knowledge to help our organization grow. You and your team will provide hands-on accounting support for our company, owning the statutory and GAAP accounting functions for our insurance company's premiums, losses, and reinsurance agreements.
You’ll be joining Pie at an exciting time and will be a critical piece to the puzzle as we continue to grow this function within our organization.
We have a strong preference for this position to be located in our downtown DC office, where it will report to our CFO, but may be open to remote work for the ideal candidate.
Some additional responsibilities may include:
- Work with leadership in the monthly close process for both U.S. GAAP and statutory accounting books for our insurance company entities, and provide reporting to our management and board
- Track inter-company entries and payments among Pie’s subsidiaries, our reinsurance partners, and agency partners
- Collaborate with the actuarial team to record proper loss reserves
- Lead the preparation of NAIC Statutory Quarterly and Annual Statements and manage the internal review for these documents
- Build out the team and processes required to perform the above functions, including helping to design the chart of accounts for the insurance company entities
- Monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance and interpretations and communicate the impact of these changes to the management team
- Research and assist in the preparation of responses to regulatory inquiries and ensure all periodic regulatory filings are completed on time
- Work closely with our corporate accounting team, providing support as needed
The Right Stuff
- CPA required
- 3+ years of relevant experience in accounting at a regulated insurance company
- Experienced with insurance industry accounting, ideally including statutory and GAAP accounting, regulatory reporting, and accounting for reinsurance treaties
- Possesses technical accounting knowledge and analytical skills to support a growing insurance company
- Solves complex business problems through constructive thinking and collaboration
- Has strong technical skills including Excel
- Communicates clearly and effectively, including the ability to explain complicated technical concepts to colleagues outside the accounting team
- Preferred but not strictly required
- Public company audit or corporate accounting experience
- Experience implementing new technology systems for accounting
- Experience interacting with A.M. Best or other insurance rating entities
- Experience working in a high-growth / startup environment
• Competitive salary
• A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock grants)
• Comprehensive health plans
• Generous vacation
• Paid sick leave
• Commuting Allowance
• Future focused 401k match
• Modern office space with onsite gym
• Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
• Generous parental leave